1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SID, Lock Haven (Pa.) University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Dec 21, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never saw an SID job posted on jjobs.com before (though it does make sense).

Lock Haven may be Division I in wrestling, is Division II in all others.

From jjobs.com:
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Information Director
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    January 24, 2007
    Job ID: 714703

Description:
    Lock Haven University, a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, seeks applicants for the position of Sports Information Director. The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of sports information for 18 NCAA programs, including but not limited to: the production and distribution of media guides, press releases, and game day programs; maintenance of all content of athletics Web site; game day coverage; budget planning and management; and media relations. Communicating and working closely with coaches, athletic administration, and student athletes is essential. Required qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field. Proven proficiency in computer-related skills in desktop publishing and layout. Experience in Web site maintenance. Coordinate photography services. Excellent editing and proofreading skills with AP style experience. Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and to meet deadlines. Available to travel and work evening/weekend hours. Applicants must successfully complete interview process to be considered as a finalist. For application information, go to the LHU Web site at http://www.lhup.edu/HR/adm_mgmt/index.htm. Review of applications will begin January 5, 2007 and continue until the position is filled. AA/EOE. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Well, Lock Haven certainly isn't an upper echelon PSAC program.

Football has struggled to compete in recent years. Same with men's hoops. Women's hoops, though, had a remarkable turnaround -- something like a 13-game improvement -- last season.

3. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

Wonder how much a gig like this would pay, just out of wild curiosity.

4. Journalista

Journalista New Member

Everyone,

At least Lock Haven didn't drop football like my friends over at Mansfield did.

Such a disgrace, the first school with a night football game in history.

And now they don't have a program.

Ridiculous.

Signed,

Journalista

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what the hell does that have to do with this job?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Absolutely nothing. Although it's probably his best opportunity to vent.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Or hers.

Mansfield may be the only PSAC school without a football program.

Anyway, back to LHU. Not the most glorious place, but there are far worse places to live. Less than an hour to Williamsport and State College, and apparently Lock Haven has some (college-themed) nightlife of its own. Just be prepared for a lot of long bus rides, though.

8. Trey Beamon

I beg to differ. [/Clarion University alum] :D

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, I stand corrected. PSAC sports aren't my specialty, to say the least.

10. Trey Beamon

No, you were right the first time, wicked.

I just forgot to use the sarcasm font.

11. qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop New Member

I imagine they will get plenty of aps for this one since it pays in the high 30s-low 40s and that is plenty to live off in Clinton County. Since there seems to be a quick turnaround and they want someone in place quick, by the ap date, my guess is the university higher-ups have someone in mind that they want in that office and probably are waiting to see if he or she applies. Since its an athletics position, it's probably someone that's in good graces with the athletic director.

12. Journalista

Journalista New Member

Everyone,

So, I wanted to vent.

But, my first love went to Mansfield, and I always enjoyed the atmosphere of a football game there.

I met my love when my alma mater, Central Connecticut, went to play Mansfield in 1991. The Blue Devils and the Mounties tied at 35-all, before deadlocks were decided by overtime at the collegiate level.

Oh my, I am dating myself. :)

Mansfield is a nice place. As is Lock Haven. And I am sorry if I came off as venting, when of course, it has nothing to do with the job in Lock Haven.

Signed,

Journalista

Draft saved Draft deleted