1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer, Greensboro, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Newsom, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Ah, you big turkey. Who doesn't love a 40-inch gamer?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody is knocking SoBo, just a former SE in a town near there.

And Covert, the 40-inch gamers were just awesome when you had 15 inches of space budgeted for a Tunstall-Magna Vista volleyball game and you get a 40-inch "masterpiece" about 20 minutes after deadline.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

What's the latest?

4. dark_helmet

dark_helmet New Member

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

So, uh, no latest, huh?

Personally, I have no dog in this one but I am curious as to whether the folks in Greensboro have started to interview.

6. boots

boots New Member

Word on the boots pipeline is not yet. Something may be coming soon but that has been said before and it's not taking a crack at the organization.

7. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

There is no latest.

In hindsight, someone higher up the food chain than I and my boss should have said not to post this job because it has produced nothing but inflated hopes both within and outside N&R headquarters.

We'll hire someone eventually. The over/under at this point is we'll start interviewing in March/April, but the early money is split evenly on both sides of that wager.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Posting a job in October, saying in January that it might have been premature and then not being confident the process will resume by March/April is a poor way to attract decent candidates.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Sounds like that is a management decision not John's. You can only work with what your bosses give the OK to. This a good place to work and since I sent stuff in I'm willing to be patient on it.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

While I agree with your premise, Editude, I doubt they'll be lacking for quality candidates on this one, with the job climate as it is right now.

11. Actually we're seeing this a lot in the industry these days. Positions come open, then are eliminated by attrition, to reduce costs. The working theory is, if you're getting the work done without that body, the body wasn't necessary. Hard to argue if you've gone through prep football and half of prep basketball season without that writer. Any chance that when the spring sports slowdown hits, that writer's position will look any more necessary? As they say on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, "Not a big chance."

12. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

We would have preferred to have make this hire in the fall, but it didn't work out that way. I still like our chances of getting someone good when we get permission to restart the search.

For those who don't want to scroll back four pages, we're adding a second preps writer in Greensboro. We have one perfectly good high schools writer now, but he's badly outnumbered by all of the high schools (and sports) there are to cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted