1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Opening - Ann Arbor.........AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Sep 14, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And today, the eight-month anniversary of the first post for this job, a puff of white smoke rises above East Huron. Disappointed staffers and former staffers will, despite their best hope, not see flames coming from a certain bank of windows on the second floor to accompany it.

Word is, there is a new SE. His name is Pete Bigelow, and he's a former ASE at the Longmont Daily Times-Call in Colorado.

Good luck to you sir. May your awards be plentiful and your nervous system remain true...

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

But we all know that won't happen.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Concur with the slap-master on all counts.

Best of luck, Mr. Bigelow!

rb

4. JB20

JB20 Member

Pete is a great guy. He will do well as an SE.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Best of luck to Pete. He will do well. :)

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I, too, wish Pete luck. He's gonna need it.

7. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

SO it took 8 months to hire a guy who was an ASE from a 20,000 plus daily ... WOW ... gotta wish this guy nothing but the best, but have to wonder what the hiring criteria was ... from all the bad mouthing this job has taken to bringing in a guy from nowheresville (I reserve the right to take that comment back if he has been an ASE or higher at bigger papers previously) to run the sports department ... Clueless in Ann Arbor ... Let me know who will run the survivor pool on this job and I will be in!

8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Slappy, you wanna handle that pool? LOL

He'll have a nice honeymoon with Ed. Wined and dined and can do no wrong the first six to nine months ... which would bring them to college football season. That'll be the test.

I'd need to know more about his personal life. Is he married? Wife and kids? If so, he could be there a while. Ann Arbor is a great place to raise a family. But if he's single ... who can say? Could be less than three years with an eye on going from medium fish in medium pond to big fish in medium pond or small fish in large pond.

I'd start the over/under right there at three years.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A quick search of the Longmont web site revealed no bylines by Mr. Bigelow. The SE did have bylines tho.

Don't know how far back their web archives go tho.

10. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Opening in Longmont?

11. Pete covered Broncos before moving inside. And their web site isn't great. They don't put a lot on there. I hate to join in the ass kissing, but Pete is a good guy and is talented, no matter what other people say. And there are a lot of places that would be considered nowhereseville a lot more than Longmont. The paper covers every Denver sports home game, CU and CSU and preps. It's only about 30 minutes from Denver.

12. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

He must be a good guy, obviously, because a number of people have said as much ... I just think the process was horrible and the bottom line, look at the size of paper he's coming from ... this job is a WHOLE different animal ... the folks at the AA News look bad at how this shook out ... they wait 8 months to hire a ASE guy from 20,000 daily ... is this how the rest of the paper is run? ... this will either be the best hire they ever make for the position, because he turns out to be a real diamond in the rough, or the biggest bonehead decision of their career ... personally I hope for the former because I do not want to wish ill-will on anyone in this biz ... but this whole process reeks to the high heaven ...

Draft saved Draft deleted