1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal Ripken to buy the Orioles from Angelos?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 14, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Well, I believe more of what Rosenthal says than I do Steve Philips.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Baltimore can only hope.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto motherfucking ditto.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've heard one rumor that the only person Angelos will sell to is Ripken, who doesn't have near the cash necessary right now. Chip Mason is name most often mentioned as the next potential owner. MAAAANY Baltimore fans want this to happen yesterday.

Angelos honestly believes he's like the patriarch of sorts of baseball in Baltimore, and wants to go down as the man who rescued the franchise while serving the city. I don't believe he knows how much he's hated by so many fans right now, and I don't think he particularly cares either. But selling to Ripken would ensure, at least in his mind, his legacy. It would bring much relief to the rest of the city. His sons are two egomaniacal nitwits begging to follow in the footsteps of Mike Brown and the Irsay kid.

I don't think anyone should questions Angelos' heart, he just sucks at how he does things.

6. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

Please, please, please let this somehow happen. It's so sad to go to games there these days and the place to be barren -- unless it's crammed full of obnoxious Sawx or Yank fans. The only good thing about it being empty is that the fans have largely given up on the product due to the fact it sucks so badly under Peter's reign of error. Saying he sucks at doing things is putting it quite politely -- accurate, but politely.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, to give Angelos some credit, he probably is a pretty good lawyer. He had to amass that fortune somehow.

The ironic part is he seemed to start out OK ... signing Robby Alomar and the O's having those great teams in '96 and '97 .. but then it went to his head and he became meddlesome (or even moreso). The franchise has been a fiasco the past decade, which is sad since it was once one of baseball's best and most respected organizations.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I greatly admired Angelos for the stance he took against using replacement players in the 1994-95 work stoppage. That's about the only thing he's done right in a decade. The rest? Ditto what's been said above.

9. KP

KP Active Member

As a Sox fan it used to be fun going to Baltimore and being one of the lucky couple thousand New Englanders to get in there for a Sox series. O's fans cared about the product. It's harder to get PawSox tickets in the summer than Sox-O's tix. It's like f'in Fenway South now, the pink hats and casual fans are going down because it's such a great weekend destination.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It went downhill when Angelos vetoed a trade that would have sent Bobby Bonilla to Cleveland for Chris Widger and Jeromy Burnitz back in '96. When the O's made the playoffs he decided he was smarter than Pat Gillick. Even if he was right that particular year, a lot of good it did him later on.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

George W. Bush didn't have the money to buy the Rangers, either. What he did was pull together an investment team (like most owners do anyway). If Ripken is serious about buying the O's, then he's already done this or at least started it.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A lengthy period of transition also could work to Ripken's benefit, giving him time to learn the business of Major League Baseball.

Oh, yeah, might as well learn from one of the true masters like Angelos.

Draft saved Draft deleted