1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wall Street invests in companies all over the world . If you can make them money they'll find you.

As far as cities - Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville come to mind as perfect cites for NASCAR to hold their dinner.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, what a great idea. Oooh! Oooh! Better idea! How about the infield at North Wilkesboro Speedway!!!

3. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the NASCAR rednecks weren't allowed in NYC. Why don't we all just scoot on down to Nashville and have us a good ol' time instead of treading on the sacred streets of Manhattan.

Maybe the NBA should move its All-Star game from Las Vegas to somewhere else since the Strip isn't the "roots" of basketball.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't know what is so wrong with suggesting that New York City is not a great fit for the banquet and that it would be better suited to a community where NASCAR actually has some kind of a presence during the race season.

As far as I can tell, the only reason it's even in New York is because of a pathological need on someone's part to be validated by people who couldn't tell the difference between Dale Earnhardt, Dale Jarrett and Dale Evans and don't really care that they're unable to do so.

My vote for a permanent banquet site, if I had a vote, would go to Charlotte. My apologies to anyone from the American South and/or anyone involved in stock car racing who, in an apparent fit of hyper-sensitivity, would mistakenly see that as an attempt to hold you down on the farm.

5. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Double J, I woudn't be sensitive about it if this was a legit comment or discussion. In fact, you seem to be treating it that way and your points are well-taken.

I'm more responding to the other dude who seems to constantly tweak the NASCAR types for no reason.

If it were anyone else who brought this up, I'd think it was legitimate.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I gotcha. :)

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You are way to defensive. Just so you understand I have been a NASCAR fan since the late 60's - not long after Tom Wolfe wrote "The Last American Hero" on Junior Johnson.

What attracted me to NASCAR was how genuine a sport it was and the fact that it stayed true to its roots. Loved the characters like Junior Johnson and the Woods Brothers.

I loved watching the races from the smaller tracks like Rockingham and Darlington.

What I don't like now is how commercial NASCAR has become and how far it has moved away from its roots. Having race week in NY is the greatest symbol of that change. I think it makes NASCAR look needy and it also a real slight to their true fan base.

What NASCAR is doing is the same mistake the NHL made. It is becoming too homogenized.

8. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I had meant only '01 and I stand corrected: I forgot Ward won in Darlington...as far as Ganassi...well, it just seems a little odd that until that UAW 500 in Charlotte when McMurray entered the record books, Ganassi was a championship-caliber team and after that, not so much. Plus, mention that topic to some NASCAR officials, like I have off-the-record once or twice, and watch the look of amusement that crosses their face...

9. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

Gilliland has a new teammate according to The Sporting News … Ricky Rudd, not to be confused with Ricky Bobby.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=157426

10. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I think Reutimann has a shot, but if Waltrip couldn't do anything at DEI with Tony Jr. and Dale Jr's equipment, he has no shot with Toyota. Jarrett may win one more if he's extremely lucky, but I would say Vickers is Toyota's only real shot at a win in '07...

11. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Not a bad move. Rudd is a proven quantity...will get a couple top 10s and bring the cars home most weekends. Plus, he'll be good mentor for Gilliland, who started coming along at the end of the season. I'm not real thrilled with Yates using the 28 instead of the 88. It'll be weird seeing the 28 out on the track without the Texaco sponsorship...

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I remember thinking it was weird to see the 28 on the track without the Hardee's sponsorship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.