1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst lede ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Just read this piece of comical awfulness:

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) - Greg Paulus has spent the start of his sophomore season recovering from a foot injury. That makes the already tough job of being Duke's point guard even tougher.

He didn't miss any games, but there was always the postgame talk of when would we see the old Greg Paulus.

According to his coach, there was a better version on display Saturday night than the one who led the Atlantic Coast Conference in assists last season.

Paulus scored all 13 of his points in the second half and led the 11th-ranked Blue Devils ' impressive defensive effort over the final 20 minutes in a 61-52 victory over No. 18 Georgetown.

''That was better than the old Greg,'' Mike Krzyzewski said. ''The old Greg was good. Those plays he made in the second half were of a sophomore Greg. Those are the plays he'll make now that's he's coming back from the injury.''

Paulus had other things than the injury on his mind.

2. Blushing

Blushing Member

Jim Reeves of the FW Star-Telegram began a recent column with this confession: "I am not God."

Well, now that we've cleared that up ....

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Yup. As a reader of this column, I'm looking at that lede and thinking, "I am not reading this."

4. Can you spell B*A*T*E*S -- don't even have to look it up

5. happygirl

happygirl Member

B*I*N*G*O!

6. Thanks for the laugh HappyGirl -- much appreciated!

7. happygirl

happygirl Member

One more for you, same writer, poor guy:

"Another high school football postseason has come and gone, with some new teams and some familiar teams playing on the fields at some new sites and others that have been used before.

Now, all of the games are being played on fields with artificial turf, and with more schools installing artificial turf, there are more sites to choose from and thus more good sites for the MIAA to pick from in deciding where to play the games."

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. Does this guy's stuff run unedited?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hate to bash on writers on here, but holy shit is that guy bad.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Can I get a Yogi Berra-to-English translator please?

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I share Zeke's mixed feelings about ripping on writers here. It's like shooting fish in a barrel...not very nice and not very difficult, either. Still, when I read pure crap, I get grumpy. Came across this in a local rag this morning:

The (Podunk) High School boys' basketball team might be getting the nickname "Cardiac Kids" if they play too many more games like these.
    The (Screamin' Eagles) have now played two consecutive barn-burners and won them both.
    (Cletis Smith) made his first game-winning shot of his high school career as time expired as the (Eagles) have now won two in a row after getting a 54-51 comeback victory over the (Palookaville Pirates).

EDIT: The writer in question has a B.A. in journalism from Kansas. No kidding.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just further proof of the inferiority of a Kansas education. (Hi, Oz! :D)

Draft saved Draft deleted