1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough luck, RU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Dec 2, 2006.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Word is that Gator is looking to sell some tickets and doesn't think GT (based on today's showing) will do it ... also doesn't think any Big 12 team, including Texas, will bring fans ... therefore is likely to take WVU ... which would be 3rd Gator in 4 years.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Gator would have done that if Louisville was the second place team -- since the Cards played there last year.

I doubt the Gator will choose Nebraska or Texas over West Virginia. There's no real gain there.

I do feel bad for Rutgers. They had a hell of a season. They deserve better, but a Texas Tech-Rutgers matchup would at least have some interesting dynamics.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That game could have a 63-56 final.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The other RU question, which came up earlier on some thread somewhere (OK, I've lost track of all the FB threads), is Schiano's future.
    SCHIANO IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

Miami will come calling on Monday, by which time Rutgers already will have begun renegotiating the 7-year extension he signed after last season. He will get a nice raise, he will get the stadium expansion from low 40,000s to about 61,000, he will get anything else he asks for.
    Trust me, the new package already is being worked on and in fact could be presented to Schiano as early as Monday morning...before Miami makes its official contact with him.

FACT!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Unnamed sources? ;)

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re-negotiating a contract he signed a year ago? What a world.

How about this: Work under your current contract. If you want to go and take on an impossible gig for more money and a temporary ego boost, knock yourself out.

I know this isn't how it works. I wish it was.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Texas Tech-Louisville? Sure. And if that game went to OT -- first to 100 wins (literally).

I'm not sure if the Red Raiders score that much against the Rutgers D.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

WVU just threw up 41 with a back-up QB ... not sure how bona fide Rutgers' D was ... or maybe WVU's offense is just that West fuckin' Good.

9. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

I'll take that bet.

NJGuido.com in Miami is a better fit than the 'Eeers.

With regard to the other comment on Nebraska, they'll go
    to San Diego in droves.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't forget DOH, 18 of those points came in the shootout tha CFB calls overtime.
    Regulation ended 23-23.
    Rutgers' biggest defensive probelm is lack of size...very quick but quite small up front.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hate OT in CFB. Seriously. Play it like you played the first four quarters or go back to ties.

12. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

I think Schiano stays.

His situation at RU is very akin to what Paterno did at UPS, Schnellenerger at Miami, and Bowden at FSU.

Essentially created a major program at a small school.

Draft saved Draft deleted