1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Albany Herald (Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChmDogg, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When he's appointed himself fucking Sherman and torched half the papers in the state over the last year without displaying anything resembling a clue, you have to expect people to get snippy and fire back.

2. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

not only has he torched half the papers in the state, but usually he proves he doesn't know what he's talking about. And then he doubles back and says he didn't say what he said. A fraud. And if that's condascending, so be it.

3. boots

boots New Member

I just stated the facts as they are and they can't be ignored. If it touches you in the wrong area, then perhaps you need to check yourself.
    I would be in the majority if I were there and to be honest, I find it embarrassing. You, as a journalist, should too.
    I have praised the paper. I think it is very good for what it does. I just question their hiring practice. If I'm wrong, so be it, but the facts are the facts.

4. Floyd

Floyd Member

Well I'm just stating the facts, too. You come on an anonymous job board, bash people to no end, call them racists, and discourage minorities from applying for a position. I consider you a douche bag. If I'm wrong, so be it, but the facts are the facts.

5. boots

boots New Member

FOR THE LAST TIME, NO ONE CALLED ANYONE A RACIST. NOR DID WE BASH ANYONE. You disagree. Fine. But calling me a name that you wouldn't call your mother won't change the facts for what they are.
    Have a good day.

6. Floyd

Floyd Member

Fine, you never called them a racist. You just said they don't hire people who are minorities. Silly me for splitting hairs.

And no, I wouldn't call my mom that. Of course, she doesn't insinuate people are racist on job boards just for shits and giggles, either.

7. boots

boots New Member

The problem with the net is that youngsters like yourself get on here with little or no experience and think that you know every damn thing. You have a smug attitude and really can't talk to people instead of at them. You may very well be a bright talent but you have much to learn in the way of communicating. True communication comes from giving and receiving information. You have yet to learn that but I hope that you will in time.
    As for Albany, and I hope this closes it for good, the fact remains that in 2006, this discussion should not be happening. I refuse to believe that a newsroom in a city the size of Albany should be the way that it is. It's a fact and there is no disputing that.
    There are thousands of people of color who would love an opportunity to work there. Is the paper doing all that it can to change the situation? They say yes but the results lead one to believe otherwise.
    If I were in that newsroom, I wouldn't feel comfortable and I would blend in perfectly.
    If the facts bother others on this board, look at your own newrooms and ask if it could use a little more diversification. Many of you, although you won't admit it openly, would say yes. In 2006, this should not be a problem, yet it is. It's another black eye for the industry. We can question other companies about their diversification issues yet have problems looking at our own.
    The true fraud is, unfortunately, the industry itself.

8. Floyd

Floyd Member

the problem with the Internet is that jackasses can post comments about other people with no background.

Also, please tell me more about myself, Kreskin. I love how easy it is for you to assume things. I must be young and inexperienced because I think you're a douche bag -- true, it doesn't take the most shrewd of individuals to figure that out. And the editors in Albany must be racists because their small sports staff is all white. Yup, that makes sense too. Tell me, who's going to win the Super Bowl this year? I've got some money I'd like to lay down on your prediction, since you know everything.

If you'll go back and read earlier posts, I was very civil at first. YOU are the one not communicating. You have used this post to blame individuals for a broad problem. If you want to blame the industry, great. That's what I was saying from the beginning.

And moreover, just because there are thousands of people of color that WANT to work in a newsroom, it doen't mean they can. I know 100 people who would love to write about sports for a living, if not for the fact that they can't put two sentences together without using the word "fuck." The fact is, there are not enough QUALIFIED minority candidates to go around, and the good ones do not have to work in places like Albany. There are jobs at much bigger, much better places waiting for them. Look at the diversification numbers, and the worst papers are always the smaller ones. This is not about racism -- in fact, quite the opposite. It's supply and demand -- all papers WANT to hire minorities, which leaves small papers who can't offer the same beats, money, etc. left out. It's about sheer numbers. Look at journalism schools and see what the typical profile of classes are. There are a dearth of candidates in the industry, period.

Instead, you want to sit here and bitch that this shouldn't happen in 2006. Well, the truth is, newspapers everywhere are failing -- failing to make money, failing to produce quality on a routine basis, failing to meet readers' needs, failing to provide the necessary benefits to advertisers -- and hiring unqualified people just for the purposes of diversification doens't help this. I'm sure you know this with your 65 years of experience in the bizz.

Trying to find qualified minorities is an issue that EVERY small paper struggles with. And you getting on a job board like this and basically telling them not to apply to a paper like Albany doesn't help.

Now I realize these are all valid, rational points so they'll go straight over your head, but maybe if you go back and reread it a few times, it'll sink in. Douche bag.

9. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

This is a poster child for an SJ thread.

And that's not a compliment or a good thing in any way. Certainly nothing to be proud of. Anonymous namecalling and narrow interpretations never are. Play nice or nobody gets any Cheesy Poofs.

10. Floyd, I don't know why you're continuing to bother. Whitlock once said there were two posters he never engages: Heyabbott and boots. This place would be a little bit better if we all followed that rule.

11. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

The world of sports journalism would be

better if people worked and talked and read about the business rather than got pissy on message boards on stupid topics with stupid people. Any time media people with a log on to this board make fun of anybody, it's the greatest example of hypocrisy since Eve told Adam that no, apples are better for women.

12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden New Member

I dunno. Sometimes a douche bag just needs to be called a douche bag.

But yeah, no sense beating a dead horse... or an idiot "journalist."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.