1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio State-Michigan thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yup, that will be their only loss to an OSU this season.

And sorry, dools.... you don't negate the head-to-head blwout becase USC had some close games. If that's the case, let's negate ND's loss to Michigan, too

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. It's kind of hard to ignore head to head results, especially given the 36-point margin in Arkansas. USC would deserve it more than on that alone, not to mention also beating Nebraska and Notre Dame out of conference.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll buy that. Of course, if USC falls to ND, then it becomes a MAJOR clusterfuck, because Arkansas, West Virginia and Boise State will have (arguably) legitimate arguments to get a chance, as well as Michigan.

EDIT: Forgot about Florida. Thanks, dools.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Notre Dame's schedule has sucked ass, and they needed a miracle to beat UCLA. Arkansas and Florida have been steamrolling. In my book, the Irish should need a ticket to get anywhere near the title game. And it's not a one-game season. The NCAA basketball people have it right: who are the hottest teams at the time. There are so many cherry-picking scenarios, where you can pick one time beating another team but losing to another team that lost to the first team...and so on, until you get to paralysis, unless you look at the totality of the schedules, and determine who did the best against the most decent opponents, and who's the hottest entering the bowl season.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Doc, Boise State has no case.

Fla./Ark winner has a case.... USC/ND winner has a case...

The rest: Case closed.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Arkansas may be "steamrolling," but Florida has been more The Little Engine That Could, assuming you throw out their 1-AA scrimmage today.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Then, please, tell me the difference, troll boy.

Game A -- 81 combined points, 916 combined yards, 4 turnovers, 8 penalties for 95 yards
    Game B -- 78 combined points, 1,066 combined yards, 4 turnovers, 11 penalties for 108 yards

Yet one is considered The Game Of The Century and the other is little more than a glorified high school scrimmage?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dissin' on the Pac 10.

USC's non-conference teams: Nebraska, Notre Dame, Arkansas.
    Michigan's non-conference teams: Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, BALL STATE
    Notre Dame's schedule: Army, Navy, Air Force, Maine Maritimes, Sister Louisa's ...

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

10. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

On my AP ballot, I will keep Ohio State and Michigan as one and two.

I will also hope for a rematch. At the end of the year, the two best teams are supposed to meet for the national championship. These are the two best teams in college football. Not Notre Dame, which was crushed by one of them. Not USC, although the Trojans are pretty damned good for a team that lost Leinart, Bush & White. Not Arkansas, because discounting the 50-14 loss is total fanboy ridiculousness. Not Florida, even though the Gators have the most convincing argument -- like Michigan, a close loss on the road against a tough opponent. The difference is that the Buckeyes are better than Auburn.

I also wonder how many people on this thread rooting against the idea of OSU-Michigan II want to see a playoff. This is what happens in playoffs. Sometimes you play a team you beat in the regular season. Now, you have to beat them again. Hondo, if your scenario occurred, I would vote for Michigan as number one. That's the standard set by the sport. The team that wins at the end wins it all.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, the question is, who is the best qualified team to beat Ohio State now, not counting a team that has already lost to Ohio State. Arkansas is, at this moment, a more dominant team than USC, as is Florida. And I laugh at your fanboy screed, as the minute I spent in Arkansas was thoroughly depressing.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Let's just say The Ohio State and Michigan play again and Michigan wins 35-31.

A split in the series. Then what? No, really, what happens then?

I'm a lifelong USC fan. Let's say USC and UCLA were having the same 1-2 battle in the Pac 10 and UCLA won. Even if I still felt both were 1-2 after the game, I wouldn't clamor for a rematch. I'd accept USC is going to the next-best bowl and that would be that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.