1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB writer positions available

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nychack, Nov 16, 2006.

1. nychack

nychack Member

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=50358656&AVSDM=2006%2D11%2D15+12%3A10%3A48&Logo=1&JobTitle=Freelance+Writer&q=writer&cy=us&JSNONREG=1&zip=10011&Image1.x=0&Image1

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This says they're looking for a freelancer in New York. Are there other positions here I'm not seeing?

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I don't understand MLBAM.

Every single year they run a grocery list of positions available. Every single year I apply. Every single year I have someone already employed there put in good words for me. And every single year I don't receive a sniff. Nothing.

The staff of writers hasn't changed is five years - at least it hasn't changed much. Most of the 30 writers (one in each city) are the same as last year and the year prior.

I'm not saying I'm the world's greatest writer. Nor am I even suggesting I deserve a gig.

But I have covered two Triple-A seasons (one as a writer, one as a radio guy). And, I've worked an entire season covering an indy league. I've proven I can/will travel, and I'm willing to move anywhere right now for a chance to cover ball.

I thought MLB.com/MLBAM would be my best shot, especially considering I'm 30, and most daily papers have their beat writers set in stone.

But it seems they always advertise and never hire. At least not many.

Thanks for the time and space to rant and vent.

Continue the discussion.

SSM

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Monster has run the same ad now, for what, three years running?

I don't know of anyone who applied through Monster and has received an MLB.com gig. Not saying it's impossible, but I think it's very unlikely.

I believe this is part of a sponsorship arrangement between the two organizations. Monster sponsors something with the All-Star game and in return MLB.com posts this ad, which is sure to generate resumes -- which Monster needs in order to sell its services to employers nationwide.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Roughly what I thought. I told someone at work that MLB just wants to fill their filing cabinet with resumes. I didn't apply this year.

6. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

You're hired!

Seriously, this whole Monster-MLB thing is crap. After weeding out some of the bad apples over the years, the writers already established with MLB.com aren't leaving those jobs. If there is an opening, MLB.com has been able to pick up already established writers in whatever city they need.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Don't waste time applying and thinking you're getting a real job out of this. MLB.com writers do leave occasionally but this is a marketing deal, as mentioned. You can, I believe, get a job doing stats or freelancing from these ads, but you'd have a better chance emailing a writer for contact info.

8. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I'm actually one of those people that got a job at MLBAM through Monster, practically right out of college in Jan. '05. I've been at the Minor League site for the last 2 years. Some good people there, some not-so-good people, and then there's this one wack-job you might have heard of; the guy that goes around collecting "foul" balls at games and has been documented taking them from little kids. He's also known as the shop's whipping boy.

ANYWAY, it's a nice deal here (the SNY is just next door) and the area is great (we're in the Chelsea Market), but I don't know about any full-time spots opening up. I've been told those won't be made known -- if there are any -- until late January at the earliest. Just a word of warning: if you have to take Minuteman Car service to get home each night, be prepared to ring the damned driver's neck on a routine basis. Nothing like going 50 on the NJ Turnpike at 2:30 am with not a car insight.

>rant over<

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Please, for the sake of humanity, pound the ever-lasting shit out of him. Please. I beg you.

That BLOG is the most pathetic thing I have ever read.

10. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Try working with him. It's a miracle I'm not wearing an orange jump-suit and covered with tattoos by now. The guy has the respect of practically no one here. The one person that's friendly with him probably does it more out of pity, though.

Oh, did I mention that the dude (28 y.o.) is single?

11. Actually this job listing is actually completely different than the empty ones of the past. There is a legit opening and they want to fill it quickly. PM me for more info.

12. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

I always hear mlb.com is a great place to work. What do they pay beat writers?

Draft saved Draft deleted