1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

At UMD, one of the brightest spots is the play of Alex Stalock in net.

And how's this for odd -- UMD plays Northern Michigan in Marquette tonight.

2. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

As an alumni and former SID assistant at UND, I would love to say that the 'ralph' puts the xcel to shame, but the truth is, there have been so many problems in that buliding, becuase it was built in such a hurry (much like it's attachments, the betty engelstad sioux center) that it can drive a person nuts. For example in the pbox, only 3/4 is for media, and when it's full (sioux/gopher) good luck even keeping notes because your squished so tight together, AND if your lucky enough, you might get the CRAP seat from which you can't even see the ice, it kind of wraps around the corner... USUALLY they are good about making someone other than a media person sit there.. but I have seen it happen.
    The XCEL, great press box, open, pretty much not a bad view of the ice from anywhere.. and yes great food. The highlight of my year for the past five years has been working for the WCHA at the Final Five and watching the best college hockey around.
    And if you take away hockey from the 'ralph' and head to it for a different purpose (concerts perhaps), get floor seats, becuse the acuostics SUCK HUGE in that building.. anyone who's been to a concert at the target center will know what I'm talking about, when I say if you sit in the lower bowl, you can't hear anything... The floor or the second level are the only good spots to understand what the person is singing about. Unlike the XCEL which has the best acoustics I've heard at a large venue.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Shit like this always happens in November and December in Hockey East. There's always a team or two (usually Providence, maybe my Minutemen this year) light the world on fire through January, and come Valentine's Day hit a stretch of six losses in eight games or so. Things always come riiiiiiiight back to the big 4 in Hockey East, with perhaps a wild card or two to make things interesting. That 8-2 win by UNH certainly casts some doubt over Maine, which will more than likely again eek out home ice advantage and make the Fleet before getting bounced, but it also sets up the two-game weekend later in the season. UNH looks good, though it always does.

Of course, the above never applies for Merrimack. Holy God.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm, all this way and no love for the CCHA, with five in the top 20 and two more getting mentioned...

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Any more talk like that and you'll be banned from Whitey's and Frenchy's.

6. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

haha.. FRENCHY died...

7. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Gotta be impressed with Notre Dame so far this year. And gotta think John Markell is on the serious hot seat in Columbus...at least I do...

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

longjumper --

What I wouldn't give for a grinder from the Red Pepper.

Just one.

9. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

I def. understand.. I'm craving the pepper day in and day out in my crap hole job in CO...can't complain about the scenery, but I can complain about the idiots I work with!!!
    I get to feed my desire for Red Pepper Saturday.. I'm so excited!!!!
    Turkey and tacomeat, with lots of white sauce.. oh.. and a cheese tostada

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

If they (finally and rightfully) gas Markell, do they look for a replacement outside the organization or does Casey (finally and rightfully) get the gig?

11. BG

BG Member

Looking forward to the MSU-ND games this weekend. Comley got things turned around just in time...folks were looking for his head on a platter this time last year.

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

From my viewpoint of covering the team in some capacity for four years now, I think maybe Casey takes over for awhile -- I get the impression he really runs the team anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted