1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks, Rosie.
    I click on it and the first thing I see is a story on the Fighting Sioux controversy. Lordy, that's been around for a while now,hasn't it?

3. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

And now the name has cost UND a No.2 FB playoff spot. The NCAA decided to drop UND from No.2 seed to a No. 3 seed, so they would be on the road the second round of playoffs.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=16902

The biggest disturbance is that it's the facutly who doesn't like the name... you could ask a majority of N.A. students on campus and they don't really care... But the NCAA only takes out of it what they want to hear...

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

More to it than that... UND took NCAA to court...

Last week, the school sought a temporary injunction, which was granted Saturday night, ahead of the upcoming Division II football playoffs. Without it, the UND team wouldn't be able to host playoff games or use the nickname or logo on uniforms or in associated athletic program activities.

http://www.startribune.com/191/story/806092.html
    http://www.startribune.com/462/story/807846.html

5. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

As impressive as Maine has looked, an 8-2 loss at home to UNH is awful. I was a little surprised to see the Black Bears retain the No. 1 spot in the uscho.com poll.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. I missed that one. Wonder what happened there. They shouldn't lose a rivalry game at home like that.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Can Merrimack please get with it and go play with the Stonehills of the world.

8. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

That is very interesting...But I guess everyone is allowed a gimmie at the beginning of the season... :p

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You're welcome. :)

The controversy over the Fighting Sioux name has been around for a while. While I haven't gotten to Grand Forks for a hockey game (yet), I've heard that the Ralph Englestad area puts the Xcel in St. Paul to shame. If the NCAA gets its way, it would be virtually impossible for UND to host playoff games for hockey. It's my understanding that the Sioux logo is everywhere there.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rosie --

I wouldn't say that -- in many ways, Engelstad and the X are the same arena.

The Ralph has a clear edge in opulence, with italian marble floors throughout and leather and cherrywood seats.

The X is bigger, and you can't find a bad seat in either building. Amazingly, when you build an arena just for hockey, all the seats face the middle of the ice. Who thinks of this stuff?

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The opulence is what I've heard the most about. One of these days I'm going to get over there for a UND vs. UMD game.

I love the X, went to the Oct. 14 Wild game and I'm pretty sure I'll be down there for the hockey tourney in March. The X's press box has got to be one of the nicest around.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good food, too.

Back on track, the Gophers biggest surprise has to be the incredible play of Jay Barribal. With a bunch of trees in the frosh class, the little guy has turned out to be quite the sniper. And tough in front of the net, to boot.

And Tyler Hirsch has returned from his time off for mental health issues to resume his play as the best passer in the college game.

Draft saved Draft deleted