1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Lewis is God's linebacker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 8, 2006.

1. I definitely agree with Irvin. He's one of those guys that give the legit people a bad name. The same can be said about Mr. Prime Time Sanders. While he has mostly kept his nose clean (I think), his look-at-me attitude is sickening.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep. It's all bullshit.

No credible writer should write it, and no credible editor should run it.

3. Al_Czervik

Al_Czervik Member

Napolean Kaufman?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sanders may talk it, but he's NEVER acted it.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So did any of you (da man, Starman, LJB) who are complaining actually read this story, or do you just refuse on general principal? Because again, I'd point out, it's not a story that swallows Lewis' conversion without any skepticism.

As for Strawberry, I think you may be remembering a big blowout story that never actually occurred. I've got a nexis account, and when you punch in Darryl Strawberry and God, you don't get any fawning stories about how he was reborn. You get one story, written by Tim Kurkjian, about the Dodgers preseason expectations where Strawberry goes on and on about being reborn, but it's presented with a healthy dose of skepticism (the entire article is about how the Dodgers have chemistry issues). It's also about five paragraphs in a 2,500 word story.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nope, I haven't read it. I've seen excerpts. It's not a topic that excites me, and as I said, if you've read one of these, you've read them all.

I stand corrected on Strawberry. But the point stands. Plug in any name and the story is the same. I've seen these stories on everyone from Steve Broussard to George W. Bush. They have all the familiar twists and turns as the average arc of a Hollywood celebrity. Nothing new here.

And, honestly, a lot of these things we knew about Ray Lewis six years ago (resentment of his father, etcetera).

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion, and I think it's valid, but I just find it strange that some of you are ripping a story you haven't even read. It's not like you can really determine whether or not the piece is the "same old bullshit" from excerpts.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Fair enough, should have read it first. Just seen this movie before is all.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I never knew God was down with folks who obstruct a murder investigation.

Does that make Leonard Little God's defensive end?

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Pretty good story. I found this anecdote particularly humorous:

The kids spill into the hall, Lewis bellowing, "Who knows my birthday?"

"May 25th ... no, 15th," says one. "1975!" blurts another.

"Grab your brothers' and sisters' hands now."

Now that's a tender family moment. Who knows Daddy's birthday?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if Ray knows all of their birthdays?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's different. Leonard Little actually killed somebody.

Then he went on and on about how broken up he was about it even years later. His ageent said Little cried in his office about the woman he killed while driving drunk.

Then the asshole got busted driving drunk AGAIN!

I'm not sure exactly what went on with Lewis that night in Atlanta, but we know exactly what Leonard Little has done. I find it truly offensive that his ass wasn't tossed in jail for a long time, especially after he got busted again for drunk driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted