1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Republic blogger hates the Wash. Post sports section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sounds kind of like the rant of a bitter Maryland fan to me (and as Col. Jessup would say: "Is there another kind?"), but since some of you think the Post sports section is vastly overrated, I thought it was worth discussing. "The Plank," which is where this comes from, is a TNR blog where magazine staffers go to rant about whatever topic they so choose.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/theplank?pid=54459

2. I doubt this is exclusive to the Post, but it raises a wider point. Why read a game story about a game you watched on TV? Who is it supposed to serve, the person asking "who won? what happened?" or the smaller group of people who want this kind of insight?

Of course, a top-quality gamer does both, but I would think there aren't many of those in any paper.

3. The Post blogger responds. Ouch!

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2006/11/the_new_republic_your_source_f.html#comments

4. Umm, I wouldn't call 5-4 Florida State _ which lost to Maryland the week before _ "resurgent."

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Steinberg's blog is always entertaining. Seems a lot similar to Roch Kubatko's up in Baltimore, but all in all both are pretty entertaining, and another reason to visit their websites.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would call that a sufficiant and appropriate beat down. I don't think 90 percent of the people out there have any idea how hard it is to write a gamer that is decided in the final seconds and must be filed 30 seconds after the final gun. Personally, I think the Post should try to be a little more lax with its deadlines (this was not a night game), but it is what it is.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

From top to bottom, there's no paper that can top the talent of the Post's sports staff.
    Every time I'm in D.C., however, I'm struck by the lack of space and erratic nature of the section. It's got a paint-by-numbers feel, and if early deadlines are part of the reason, then it's management's fault. If they don't value sports as an important part of their package, the product will suffer.
    Of course, Post circulation will continue to fade away, too.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not sure it's a wider point or not. Depends how much analysis you get from the bubbleheads on air. If you just want a score, you can spin the dial at :20 and :40 and usually get it.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

If it wasn't a night game, why was the deadline so inflexible? Anyone know?

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Another edifying exchange, courtesy of the blogosphere. They deserve each other.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps he meant the Maryland vs. Hampton game on Tuesday night, which didn't tip off until 8:30?

12. The New Republic -- home of Ruthie Shalit, playpen of Stephen Glass, dungeon run by Marty Peretz -- lost its credibility for media criticism a long time ago, and there is no writer alive more fundamentally boring than Judis, not one.

Draft saved Draft deleted