1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MISSOURI NOT MISSOURAH

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Nov 7, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I swear, I have been watching CNN all night and I have not heard a single person call the state by Missouri. They all call it Missourah. Did the spelling of the state change after I moved out of state? Is this the new journalistic standard?

WTF?!?!?!

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sad-DAM, SAD-dam.....I-rak, Ee-rak, I-rock...If the president can say 'nukular,' Missourah is the least of our problems.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I looked at the title and thought Cockdian posted this...

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Let it be decreed:
    Only those from Missouri are allowed to pronounce it Missourah.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Manlaw.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

do i have to change now? my parents are from missourah and i've always said missourah, even though i've never lived there

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

They all heard it from Michael J. Fox......

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

What I remember from being born and raised in Missouri:

Missourians themselves are split on this issue. Missour-ah tends to come from Kansas City and the northern and western portions of the state, an area bounded roughly by Kansas, Iowa, U.S. 65 and Interstate 70. The rest of the state leans Missouri.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

We've got a desker from Kansas who we always turn to for the midwestern pronounciations. Missourah is one of his favorites that we say "wrong."

10. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

I grew up in Missouri, near Kansas City. I hate Missourah. Never figured out why some people say it that way.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I grew up in mid-Missouri. Even when the new basketball coach was hired at Mizzou, everyone hoped and prayed he would say Missouri and not Missourah.

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Grampa: I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missoura!

Draft saved Draft deleted