1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Cliches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jay_christley, Nov 2, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Sets up the rest of the season nicely"

2. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

(Insert team name here) Nation is one I can't stand.

3. However, "Devil Ray Nation" is always hilarious.

I'm sick of ESPN getting credit for "walkoff." Eckersley invented it years before Bill Pidto ever heard it.

Also, to "lay an egg" as a way of describing a bad performance just sounds really gross to me.

4. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Agreed, though I do tend to like the unprintable "shit the bed."

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Any noun turned into a verb:

Effort into efforting. As in: We're efforting to get him on the phone.
    Plate into, well, plate or plated. As in: Bonds plated three runs.

I also hate intermissions and halftimes being called "recess." And a dunk being called a "flush."

6. KP

KP Active Member

Another Eck-isms... They're not paying me enough iron. That means he's looking for cash. Good stuff.

7. I've always hated that use of well

people write that all the time. i know one guy, otherwise outstanding columnist, who throws that usage of well into everything he writes.

WTF.

come on. well? is it supposed to signify irony or the writer pausing to ponder how clever he is?

hate it

8. KP

KP Active Member

Recess is also inaccurate. Recess was the time you run around like a mad person? Sounds nothing like what goes on during halftime.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oooh, my favorite one of those, from a local high-school FB coach with a vocab all his own:

"We out-athleted 'em this time around."

Yes, I used that in the quote. :D

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Shit the bed" is a favorite of mine... ;)

It always throws me a bit when a coach says "I had to give him a blow" as in "give him a rest"

One time the coach I cover said that in a press conference and the PR intern in the back got the giggles, which caused the rest of us to just topple over with laughter... Coach was not amused...

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

"Not so much."

It is the current 'cool phrase' on ESPN radio. Every single host uses it like they made it up. I never want to hear it again. It's freaking driving me nuts. It has replaced "It is what it is" (Greenberg's favorite) in the zeitgeist as the latest hip phrase. Maddening.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Efforting is a pet peeve of mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted