1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story of the year so far?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 85bears, Oct 30, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

2. Um, it's Halloween in twenty minutes. Story of the Year is running out of time if it's only 'so far'

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, that was a really good story.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought for sure this would be a thread started by Whitlock.

5. no offense. i think it's a nice profile, pretty solid writing. but best profile of the year? not especially close.

6. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

So, then, what might be near the top since you have such discriminating taste?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was well worth the 40 minutes or so. There were a few style mistakes I saw, but the writing and the subject more than made up for it. Very well done.

8. Eli, it's a nice story. I just think it's sort of lame to call your own story "story of the year."

9. 85bears

85bears Member

I WISH I had written it. But alas no. I had never even heard of Eli Saslow until I read the story. Just happened to be in town.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Saslow also did the profile on the coach rolling up the yardage for his HS kid going for a rushing record.

Maybe it's not the story of the year, but this gentleman is rolling up quite a body of work in 2006.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Eli's really good. And he's a really good guy. There are people who succeed in this business, and you admit they're talented but you can't stand to be around them, and then there are people like Eli, who you root for. He's done a lot of great stuff for the Post, including going to Africa to write about basketball. He really gets "IT" when it comes to writing. He doesn't over-write, he doesn't slip into cliches, and he always shapes stories really well. It's awfully impressive for someone four years out of college. I'd like to see him at a magazine, because he writes great profiles.

I liked this story. Liked it a lot. I wouldn't say it was the best story of the year, but it was very well done.

12. 85bears

85bears Member

I agree about the writing style. I thought there was a lot to learn from it for a younger writer - more that would be relevant than even reading, say, Gary Smith.

Draft saved Draft deleted