1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the fascination with David Eckstein?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Walter_Sobchak, Oct 27, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

A guy that busts his ass seemingly 162 games a year and shows that he has fun doing it, the horror.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There's tons of reasons.

Watch him run. He looks like he is busting his ass. Maybe other players are. I know some aren't. But the way he's pumping his arms wildly, his face clenched - he sure as hell looks like he's trying, all the time. Average fans recognize that.

In Anaheim, before games, there was ONE player who signed autographs every day before the game. You could see the line, 45 minutes before the game, just past the home dugout. Other players may sign for a day. Some players never signed at all. But only one player signed every single day. Eckstein. My guess is that its still going on in St. Louis. Fans recognize that.

Three of Eckstein's family members have undergone kidney transplants. His dad's on dialysis. There's a real, underdog, human interest story there.

3. I don't think it's so much that he likes to run out grounders and occassionally dive in the field. It's that he NEEDS to run out grounders, wind up like a cartoon to get the ball across the infield, and dive for grounders. While Jose Reyes could routinely beat out infield singles, Furcal can fire a cannon shot from the outfield grass, and Tejada can drive in runs like pennies in a wishing well...Eckstein cannot. But since it's not Little League where parents could say, "oh, isn't it cute how that David is trying so hard?" he has to do whatever he can to stick in the league. That's recognized and percieved, in some circles, as old school, gritty, whatever. Somewhere the word 'intangibles' is associated with Eckstein, all that stuff. It's also cause he's personable, by all accounts, and appears to be.
    I think there already is a movie about him, though, starring Sean Astin.

4. He's got the complexion to make the connection.

5. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

Eckstein is a decent player with two World Series rings. If he played in New York, he'd already have his jersey retired and be in line for the Hall of Fame.

Funny how the Edgar Renteria-Orlando Cabrera-David Eckstein merry-go-round worked out.

Boston wins a WS with Cabrera, but signs Renteria away from the Cardinals (WS runner-up) for big money. The Angels sign Cabrera to a big deal and let Eckstein walk. Renteria gets traded to Atlanta after one rough season in Boston. Then Eckstein helps St. Louis win two NL Central titles and a World Series.

6. Mike Norys

Mike Norys New Member

I know Renteria didn't work out, but to be fair, Cabrera has done very well for the Angels.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's a short Jew who redefines America's creaky Protestant work ethic.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Who exactly is fascinated?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Human League

[​IMG]

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's the Wojo of MLB. I half expect to see him slapping the infield dirt with both hands before a big at-bat.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Fuck Wojo! He couldn't hold Ed Cota's jock strap. [/uncfanboylooser]

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Anybody that doesn't understand that David Eckstein is a great player and leader by example is not paying attention to baseball. There is nothing not to like about the guy. He is humble, works hard and never has character issues. I am glad he won the World Series MVP. Maybe now he is finally getting the credit he so richly deserves.

Draft saved Draft deleted