1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Excellent ep tonight. I won't drop any spoilers, of course, for our friends on the west coast.

One piece of news: Lost ends this short run on Nov. 8 and will return on Feb. 7. This is how ABC gets around the little re-run problem from last season, though I don't understand why this problem seems unique to Lost. Dumb,

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So, worth watching on the DVR once I get home?

3. joe

joe Active Member

Very good, and opens up a whole shitpot full of new threads and questions. But also a lot of meat to this one. Jericho is a red-headed stepchild -- with a fucking club-footed limp -- next to Lost.

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

So, no discussion yet? I realize I've been absent from the conversation this season, as have a number of other folks, but LOST is still a good show -- albeit a show that's about to embark on a three-month hiatus, but still -- and it deserves some talk. Here goes.

A few questions ...

-- If Jack, Kate, Sawyer and the Others are on a different island, how did they get there? My first instinct says the underground hatch links the two islands, but that seems too easy. Also, does anybody on the main island know about this second island, "about twice the size of Alcatraz"? If not, how do you spend more than two months on an island and not see another island on the horizon?

-- By making "Sawyer" behave, have the Others really just forced to pick his moments a little better? Might this pacemaker scare, coupled with Ben's heart-to-heart on the horizon, force Sawyer to plan a little more and act with guile? It seems as if the Others are playing right into Sawyer's hand. (Key moment: When Sawyer questions Kate for escaping from her cage.)

-- Finally, how much longer will Jack permit being yanked around? The Others keep him captive for nearly a week, then ask him to save one of their own on the operating tabel. I'd be a little pissed. I'm not Jack Shepherd, of course, but I'd be on the end of my proverbial, plotting to do something.

-- Can't wait till next week to find out what 40-year-old male has a spinal tumor, what really happened to Eko (or at least how he's doing now) and who that weird dude with the eyepatch on the video screen was. Creepy stuff.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think last night's episode sets up the rest of the season really well.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought the tease for next week implied it was Ben/Henry Gale who had the tumor.

And if the Others are living on a second island, why do they care who is on the other one? It would seem that if you just left them alone, everything would be fine. Or maybe the Others figure it's only a matter of time before the crash victims discovered the second island and a confrontation happened, so they forced the issue.
    Also, is there a name for the first island? I noticed last week the sign on the dock said "Pala Ferry". So is the first island Pala? Is that a clue as to where exactly the island is?

7. Armchair_QB

I thought the tease indicated that as well.

I also thought the face in the video screen looked like this guy:

[​IMG]

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The tease did indicate that. Which is why it probably won't be him.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

great episode, but the second island thing was kind of silly. can't wait until we get more info on desmond's apparent ability to see into the future. now that charlie knows about it along with hurley, i assume it'll get forced out into the open.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Interesting stuff with last night's episode.

Still curious if Jin and Sun are swimming around in the Pacific, waiting for us to get back around to them.

11. Armchair_QB

I thought they were hiking back to the other side of the island with Sayid.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They get from one island to the other by submarine. As indicated by the line, "there was a problem on the sub" as they wheeled in the girl who had been shot.
    I think the Others and the island is just a company town. Some sort of extended work project that was started in the 60s by the Hanso Company. Henry's (or Ben) is the son of the people who started it, and that would explain why he has been there the whole time. The rest of the Others are researchers or the children of the originals, but for some reason not yet explained, they aren't getting all the things that they need, like fresh people for experiments and equipment. So they are using the people who have crashed at various times.

Draft saved Draft deleted