1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Look, I try to stay out of this debate because I'll never get pregnant. But somewhere along the evolutionary line, nature decided the female of our species was going to give birth. Sorry if some you girls resent that, but it ain't going to change. That said, I believe life begins at conception. No one wants backroom abortions. How about this? Birth control is plentiful and available. High school girls can get condoms at the health department and buy them for 50 cents in a gas station bathroom. There's the pill, and all that. How about everyone doing their best to NOT get pregnant in the first place, and avoid the whole dilemma of abortions?

Please don't tell me birth control isn't available to the poor or in inner cities. It is. I have a friend who works for a health department. They'd hand the condoms out on the street if they thought it would cut down on pregnancies.

2. All good ideas, although I think you're underestimating the desire of the anti-choice crowd to go after birth control next. They've already started in a lot of place.
    However...
    Still not your choice, my choice, or the government's choice.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

How's this Hondo? Go fuck yourself. Lovely how you excuse the men/boys who get these girls pregnant from any responsibility.

No birth control method is 100 percent effective, and a lot of teenagers are unaware of their options or not in position to procure birth control, esp. with the disinformation put out there by some of the abstinence crazies.

And if abortion is outlawed, only outlaws will have abortions. Women have been finding ways to end unwanted pregnencies since the dawn of time. Get over it.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Nobody on either side of this debate wants more abortions. Nobody.

And Hondo, what you say here sounds perfectly reasonable. But the fact is without some sort of comprehensive sex education, it's not meaningful. Your side of the aisle wants to both criminalize abortion and deny the teaching of birth control by means other than abstinence. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways and maintain your appearance of reasonability.

Last add: And while I'm sure your friend works for the Health Department, and would hand condoms out on the street if he/she could, under the directives of the current administration they'd lose their funding if they did so.

5. I've had conversations with people from Missouri who say it both ways in the duration of the same conversation.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is it possible for you to talk with the grown-ups without the potty-mouth and insults?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Is it possible for you to not be condescending? Thought so.

I'm well-aware that inner-city boys won't use condoms. I taught in an inner-city school for a year. So again, go fuck yourself if you wanna be a condescending asshat.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Do people with Parkinsons suffer the tremors in their sleep?

I'm just curious.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not necessary? Good Lord, Lyman, that's dumb even by your standards.

If funding scientific research isn't part of a government's role, what is? Oh, I know, invading foreign countries.

Lyman came to Canada once on a school trip and now he's a fucking expert.

Most civilized Western democracies fund the arts, not just Canada. You're the exception.

And DaVinci's Inquest is better TV than about 90% of the dreck that U.S. networks put out.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hondo, the problem with that thinking is this administration won't even let any funding used to fight AIDS in Africa be spent on contraception. In fact, money we send to a lot of foreign countries with high birth and AIDS and other STD rates often explicitly comes on the condition that not a penny be spent on birth control. Rather unfortunate when there's some who believe the way to cure AIDS is to have unprotected sex with a virgin female as is the thought process in some African villages. This administration's puritanical obsession with sex is rather unfortunate.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

She's such a lady.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm in complete agreement with you that it's best to have a few abortions as possible and as much sex education and access to contraception as possible. But ultimately, it's up to an individual country and the grownups in that country to educate people. We can't be in every village handing out the condoms or birth-control pamphlets.

Draft saved Draft deleted