1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist opening in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he said.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Well, I just read Jemele's three most recent columns. I don't know what it says that I'd rather read 800 words from her than 2,000 from Simmons - but I would. I prefer more wordplay in writing...and I haven't been reading her for a while, but it seems she's more Chevy than Lamborghini. That's just the writing, not necessarily the subject matter.

I've read many posts here on how she's this or that, good or bad, worth or not worth the hire. But a straw poll: if you were ESPN, what would you look for in a columnist hire?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yet I bet you would accept the same deal if given the chance. I won't say it's good for the business, but anyone who can make that much dough in this business, I applaud and envy you. Well done, Jemele.

5. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

This thread has been read 1,500 times and not one mention of whom the Orlando Sentinel should hire!

Come on, everyone.

I've got a busy holiday schedule.

No time to read clips and resumes.

And, I for one, am quite glad I know Jemele Hill.

You'd like her if you met her.

ESPN is lucky to have her.

Trust me.

Lynn

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You should find some random weekly SE in the Everglades and make him/her the new columnist as an experiment to see what happens when someone hits the big time with no notice whatsoever.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

YOU'RE HIRED!

8. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

And then turn it into the new prime-time, reality hit on Bravo. Boy, the things we'll see...

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If I thought he'd do that, I'd move to the Everglades tomorrow, then not get the job and spend my days interviewing alligators.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ryan Sonner, if he'll have you.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Ryan Sonner is interested, a burning bush will let Lynn Hoppes know.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Have you been given the OK to fill the position? What with cutbacks and the doom and gloom being spouted everywhere, I figured the position would just go away to save some Tribune bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted