1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lidle knew how to eat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OTD, Oct 17, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wouldn't quite go there... for those of you who don't have Hardee's, Thickburgers are DAMN good... but In-N-Out is damn tasty itself. I rarely get to the West Coast, so I don't eat it often enough.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

That's a tasty burger!

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In-N-Out is the best. It's not close.
    It's the No. 1 thing I miss about living in California and the first place I go to eat when I go home. There's one a half-mile from where my parents live.

From the New York Times story:

Near the end of the reception, the procession moved into the
    parking lot of Faith Community Church, where a large white truck
    sat among the cars and news vans. The truck belonged to In-N-Out,
    the fast-food chain that makes the cheeseburgers that were a staple
    of Lidle’s diet.

Lidle’s family had added a light touch by hiring In-N-Out to
    cater the reception. Brandie Peters, Lidle’s sister-in-law, hatched
    the plan. Lidle’s agent, Jordan Feagan, said Lidle dreamed of
    getting an endorsement deal with the burger chain.

“He’d have eaten them every day if he could have,” Feagan
    said.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Animal Style is the way to go.

5. Turfburger

Turfburger Member

For our midwestern brothers and sisters, Culvers would be a close comparison. If In-n-Out is a 10, Culvers may check in at 8.5 ...

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I go to California about three times a year and always eat it at least once when I'm out there.

Oh man it's delicious. I am aroused just thinking of it.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's a bold statement. Because Thickburgers are damned good. Unfortunately, I don't see myself making a trek to Cali anytime soon.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

He tied a rope to one in Southern California, then pulled it to Alabama with his teeth. Got there in five hours flat.

Haven't been within a thousand miles of an In-and-Out, but I know the Mid-Atlantic burger winner is Five Guys, without a doubt. There's a Fatburger near where my mom lives, but I've yet to try it.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that's pretty cool that they did this for lidle.

as for in-n-out, i always held it in high regard but then i asked my brother (who lives on the west coast) and he said that although they are terrific, that standard is only relative to other fast food burgers. so for someone like me, who has eaten exactly two fast food hamburgers (when i was covering a story in the middle of nowhere waiting to find out what happened in a house that had burned down with six people inside) in the last eight years, they would be nothing special. but if you eat fast food burgers, then almost no one disputes that in-n-out is the way to go.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I am probably the biggest East Coast bias person ("Youse guys on da left coast dun know nuttin about good pizza or real food") who currently lives west of the Mississippi, but In and Out is outstanding. Not only great hamburgers but outstanding milk shakes. All fresh stuff.

In and Out is a great thing about southern California. Cue the music

"In and Out...In and Out... that's what a hamburger's all about"

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's actually an excellent point. If you are doing fast food, In-n-out (or Tommy's, my co-favorite) are the way to go. There's just absolutely no reason to ever go to a Burger King or McDonalds in southern California.

But the best burgers in LA, IMO, are at Apple Pan or Cassells, which are sit-down (or counter) restaurants. In-n-Out, as good as it is for fast food, doesn't measure up to an Apple Pan hickory burger.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

poindexter... good point, but Apple Pan really isn't fast food in the same sense. For our friends on the East Coast, it would be more like a diner which had good hamburgers.

I have to drive 65 miles to get to Apple Pan, and you usually have wait for a seat. And if you have four people together, ooohhh boy.

Draft saved Draft deleted