1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Opening - Ann Arbor.........AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you hadn't offended l'il Tommie Petty, then we'd worry.

2. FlyOnTheWall

FlyOnTheWall New Member

Between the Richmond thread and this thread and the same user posting at both, it's easy to see who Ann Arbor lost.

3. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

I'm sorry ... I realize there are good and bad things about every job in every field of work ... and I'm sure that AA has its good and bad points about working there ... but let's get real about this SE job ... as I have said on a previous thread, this is not the New York Times .. this is a 50+ daily and a little over that on the weekend ... the expectations for what they want and what they can get are unrealistic ... this job SCREAMS of someone having some incredible local knowledge of the area, realizes the importance of Michigan football, etc. ... why do they go to Richmond, Va., or Tuscaloosa, Ala., to get a candidate?? What do those people know about this area ... is everyone telling me that there aren't at least 10-15 candidates that they couldn't pluck off the Freep or Detroit News tree if they made an effort ... last I checked, both papers were winning APSE awards for their sections ... AA News? Not so much ... its online product is top notch but from what I've seen in my frequent visits to AA, its design is about 15-20 years behind the times ... if the paper wants to grow, etc., etc., they need a young go-getter who understands all these things and has some serious LOCAL knowledge. Good luck, AA. ...

No offense to MJHRVA, but this section DOES need some work ... it is not a finished product.

4. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

It absolutely needs some work. Never said otherwise. It needs a leader.
    What I said was it didn't need to be rebuilt. The pieces to do great things consistently are there.

5. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

MJHRVA,

You're right ... rebuilt ... no ... reworked ... without a doubt ... the question do they WANT to be reworked ... obviously not winning awards for the section for the last couple of years should tell them something. There are issues there or this job would've been filled four months ago ...

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

appeared as though you were pitching it like a used car.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Well?

rb

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe they're in no hurry because since they've been without an SE, Michigan's football team is undefeated.... just sayin is all...

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

What? You mean, there are U-M homers at the News? No way.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, I wasn't implying that at all... He's been gone for a while

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Here's the problem. There were several sports editor openings out there a while ago. And in interviewing for a couple of them, it seems the same crop of guys were applying.
    I'd love to apply for this gig, but I now have my own shop elsewhere. Which is likely the case for a lot of people who fit what they're looking for.

12. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Slappy ... he's now in Montana, back writing college sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted