1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Bend, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

2. Al_Czervik

Al_Czervik Member

Portland has a higher suicide rate than Seattle. And it also has the most bookstores and strip clubs per capita in the U.S.

Angola! is right. Seattle gets mist and drizzle. In 20 years of living in Seattle, I have seen less than a dozen thunderstorms.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I've lived in Washington for more than 30 years, and the Seattle area for most of those. And, unfortunately, the secret is no longer secret -- the Californians just keep coming. :)

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Tom, according to the NOAA, using 30 years of data, average annual rainfall in Seattle and Portland is almost identical, as are the number of days with precipitation.

And, since you brought it up, average temperature is also identical except that Portland is a couple of degrees warmer during the summer.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

daddy - will you send me the link?

6. tardreedo

tardreedo Member

Is this what everyone's trying to do -- make connections at The Oregonian? Is that THE place to go in the Northwest? Not to threadjack, but I don't know much about their operation. I don't think I've ever seen any openings there.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Same thing Bend did with this opening two years ago: advertise in early September, re-ad a month later ("to get some more local candidates"), then ad again in November after the local candidates fizzle out. Passive-aggressive brush-off.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's not THE place to go in the Northwest, I imagine that would be the Seattle Times, but The Oregonian is a really good paper and I just figure it would be easier to make connections with people there than the Times when you are living in Bend.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, and that logic comes from ...?

i think the person they wanted took a job somewhere else, but god, if you don't know, just keep guessing and attempt to make them look as bad as possible.

please, speculate some more and pass it off as word.

10. slipshod

slipshod Member

No lap dances allowed at Portland strip clubs. Dancers can get no closer than four feet, but they are naked (or so I am told).

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I "hear" that is true also, what I can't remember is if alcohol is sold or not.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know a guy who's drank 1 or 20 beers at the dancin' bear in northwest p-town who would say that was a bald-faced lie ... unless they tightened up laws the past coupla years. maybe i can e-mail him for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted