1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Akron

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ohiowriter, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

[quote author=Piotr Rasputin
    A major problem is that in a time of war, the media often holds back when criticizing the President.
    [/quote]
    While I agree with the fact that the state of newspapers would be the same regardless of who the President is, this statement above is ludicrous.
    Just ask the editorial page editors at The New York Times, Boston Globe, LA Times and beyond . . . then again I'm sure you can just read about their hatred and criticism online.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tom Reed is the king. He quoted my blog in one of his articles and my hits went up 3x in one day!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sporkschick, i'm more interested in borrowing your bra.

4. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

You do strike me as a drunken cross-dresser, Tom.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you strike me as a person who has sex with drunken cross dressers, "that guy."

6. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

OH YEAH? Well ... the jerk store called....

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just call me T-bone.

8. outtatown

outtatown New Member

1. McManamon is only two away from getting to stay.
    2. There is talk that he and the other reporter, a news reporter, will be kept on until the end of the year.
    3. And as good as Reed is she is the opposite. According to an editor outside of sports, she is torture for the ABJ copy desk and her editors. She is high maintenance without the ability that would deserve that type of attention. There is still hope she will move on, making the situation better for all and, possibly, allowing McManamon to stay.

9. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

So I take it too that the third sports person, Gary Estwick, is also safe since I think he and Storm were hired within the same time period?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

Gary Estwick was hired in Fresno but Stephanie Storm was ahead of him on the callback list anyway I believe.

From the rumors I hear, every member of the sports department is interviewing both in and outside of newspapers and sports. Chances are one or more of them will be gone and Mcmanamon will retain his job for the time being. Pat, like Stephanie, is divorced and has children to support. Regardless of what anyone has to say about talent, any one of us could end up out of work with mouths to feed and bills to pay, I hope we don't lose sight of that reality.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

T-bag ... now that's classy.

i guess it's better than D-bag any day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.