1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fax machines ... what's the point?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jay_christley, Sep 23, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Sitting here in the office, listening to the fax machine spit out pages upon pages of stuff we don't care about -- five pages of the automated scorebook from a Div. III football team we don't cover -- and began to wonder, "Why does anyone still have a fax machine?"

In the day and age most everybody has access to either a phone (to call events in) or email, why are we wasting money on (a) a fax machine, (b) paper, (c) toner, (d) trash bags/space for all the faxes that get junked and (e) a phone line just for the fax?
    It's a gigantic waste of money.
    I suppose the newsroom needs one for those occassions one of the PDs needs to fax over a police report. But the rest of the time it just wastes paper.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wow, and I thought I was bored.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I worked at a place in which each department had a fax line, and faxes were converted to .jpgs and forwarded to the section editor. I thought that was a fairly cool trick, even if it were to mean extra junk e-mails when those cross country results from the D-III 300 miles away landed in the inbox.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Hey D III Mount Union is a team you can pay attention to.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

We've gone to the paperless fax system as well and once the bugs got worked out it's been alright.

Of course one of those bugs was the part-timer who would print things we didn't need but only to put them right in the recycle bin.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The fax machine in my office no longer works properly, so when I know there's a fax coming, I have to grab the end and pull it through so the type resembles something readable.

In a couple of weeks, I'll take the thing apart and either fix it or throw it in the trash.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Much like a toaster that doesn't work, here's how you fix it: Unplug it, wind the cord around it, throw it in the trash can. And then buy a new one.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I have a couple extra toasters laying around if you need one.

9. joe

joe Active Member

If one's a toaster oven, I'll take it. I'm pretty sure I can fix it ...

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They're nice backup when the internet is down. Sometimes the internet tubes get clogged, you know.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And I would rather type boxscores off of a fax rather than sit on the phone with a dumbass coach that can't remember the form of the box or hasn't added up his yardage yet.

12. 5A

5A New Member

Faxes are for sending out preseason forms to coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted