1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great shows that were too smart for audiences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-3 Fan, Sep 18, 2006.

1. XXXX

XXXX Member

doctor, it was definatly a joke. even though i remember it to be a decent show (with a smoking hot holly robinson peete on it), i believe a monkey could decipher the plotline.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Damn, I thought maybe I was the only person who remembered this show.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It appears the show you'rre asking about was "Flying Blind"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Blind

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wow, qtlaw, thanks for the reminder. "A Year in the Life" was a really good family drama. As I recall, not only was Sarah Jessica Parker on it, but Jane Atkinson, who was on 24 this past year, also was a key cast member. And Amanda Peterson (any fans of "Can't Buy Me Love" out there?) also was on it. I might still have it on some old tapes, but I don't even have the time to look.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Thanks! I remember it was pretty good.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes! Can't believe The Prisoner made it five pages without being mentioned. Greatest cult show ever!

And it's quasi-remake, UPN's Nowhere Man, was very good as well.

What was the show with Lance Hendrikson that was on Fox after the X Files when X Files was on Friday's? It had its moments.

On the comedy side, there's several Comedy Central skit/anthology shows that flamed out which were funny as hell: Exit 57 (early Colbert), Upright Citizens Brigade, TV Funhouse jump to mind.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Count me in on a lot of this, Arrested and Futurama especially, but Lucky, man that show was two years ahead of its time.

Think about everything that's happened in the years after Lucky, with the poker boom, online and televised, and tell me that show wouldn't be a hit right now.

How John Corbett isn't a bigger star after Northern Exposure, Lucky and Sex and the City, I really don't know.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You're thinking of Millennium.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Indeed I was. Hit and miss, but more hit than miss.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Murder One was doomed because the star (forget his name) refused to talk up the show. He was a heck of an actor, and Patricia Clarkson was way out of his league as the criminally underfeatured wife. They tried a second season with Anthony Lapaglia, but the buzz was long gone by then.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Strange Luck which, like many shows on this list, aired Friday nights on Fox. Used to watch it with my wife during our last year of college.

Also The Powers of Matthew Star, my favorite show in fourth grade. Funny enough, also aired on Friday nights on NBC.

12. offwing28

offwing28 Member

Freshman year, 1994. Everyone on the floor is off to watch Melrose Place... except me, in my room watching The Critic. Girl passes and asks why I'm not watching MP. "The Critic's on." Some joke or other catches her eye, and she stays. Girl comes looking for her, and they stay. Guy comes looking for them, and he stays. By the end of the half-hour, seven or eight people have come in and watched some of (and appeared to enjoy) this show. "Is this on every week?" original girl asks. Sure is.

The next week... They all watched Melrose Place again. Oh well.

Futurama's best episodes -- "Luck of the Fryrish" (Fry's brother stole his identity?), "Jurassic Bark" (Fry finds his fossilized dog), "Leela's Homeworld" (Leela discovers her parents' fate) -- are classic half-hours of television I'd put up with anything. The off weeks ("That's Lobstertainment"?) were sometimes way off, which probably cost it some of the people who managed to find it when the football game didn't run over. But I'd watch it all day, even the off ones.

Action, Arrested Development, Boomtown, Firefly (Joss Whedon's best show; there, I said it), Invasion: all mentioned and agreed. I was really digging Wonderfalls for those three weeks. One day, must buy those DVDs for all those unaired episodes.

Fixed date - thx BYH

Draft saved Draft deleted