1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Petre, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

As seen on Journalism Jobs:

The Northern Virginia Daily, the best small daily newspaper in Virginia, seeks a talented, high-energy sports reporter to fill the section’s premier beat: James Madison University sports.

Our four-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on local high schools in a section that averages five pages daily. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and reporting skills and an eye for the human interest stories that take the reader beyond the final score. Page design experience is a plus.

The 6-day-a-week, independently owned newspaper covers the beautiful Northern Shenandoah Valley. A resume, cover letter and at least five work samples should be mailed to sports editor Michael Petre, Northern Virginia Daily, 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657, or e-mailed to mpetre@nvdaily.com. Minority applicants encouraged.

Feel free to offer up any questions, be it via PM or e-mail.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As I said last time, good place. This one has the Moddy Seal of Approval.

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Good people. Good beat. Within five hours of six major cities (DC, B'more, Philly, NYC, Pittsburgh, Charlotte) and the beach is only 4 hours away.

4. Didn't this place have a similar opening around this time last year? BTW, who left and where is he or she going?

5. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

This beat has not been open for a handful of years. We had an opening early this summer that was filled by a talented 2006 Ithaca grad.

Ryan Sonner is leaving after several years of fantastic work. He accepted a sports design position at a significantly larger paper, and we'll definitely miss him.

6. Keystone

Keystone Member

When I had the beat for another CAA team in Va., I remember covering a game at the Convo and the guy next to me on press row yelling at the officials. Dude was from Strasburg. I doubt it was the guy who just left. :D

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

What type of experience would be necessary to even get a shot at this? I see that you just hired a college grad.

8. Ryan Sonner is a great guy. The bars in Winchester won't see the same kind of business...

9. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

You'll work hard and gain valuable experience at this place. Trust me, the NVD will prepare you for bigger and better things. The SE is talented, smart and will give you freedom to be creative, and he'll make you better in many ways.

And Sonner, well, he's an awesome reporter and infamous boozer.

This cab smells like foreskin...

10. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

Boobie: Experience is relative. At least some familiarity with a Division I beat would be nice, but that's not going to be the deciding factor by any means.

And no, you can't cover Permian here.

11. Duton

Duton Member

Another good luck and farewell post to Sonner. Watching JMU basketball blowouts won't be the same without him.

12. JME

JME Member

Mike Petre is a good and talented guy, and JMU hoops could be on the rise b/c they have brought in a recruiter with a lot of bigtime ties. It's already paid dividends -- Abdullah Jalloh, the top scorer at St. Joes, is transferring there for his final two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted