1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter/Designer/Copy Editor, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Aug 11, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Any news here?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't have any news, but I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Nuts and Bolts 2: Electric Boogaloo.

3. Boognish

Boognish Member

The Gap Band is playing on loop today from the hilltops in Eau Claire, Wis.

Epic news at the L-T. "You dropped a bomb on me, baby (Mmm), you dropped a bomb on me"

4. EgregiousMistakes

EgregiousMistakes New Member

One D down, one D to go.

Eau Claire can rejoice. For it is a great day.

I feel like the tornado dropped the house right down on top of the wicked witch's head.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Which one?

6. EgregiousMistakes

7. PP and K

PP and K New Member

This is what burns me about this board. The juvenile chickensh** so often posted here. Don't be cute. You have something to say? Then say it: The managing editor is leaving the paper.

I have worked with the ME, who clearly is not well-liked. I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with being asked to be community-minded, aggressive, accurate and thorough. Every paper has backseat drivers. Grow up. Deal with it.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know the people involved -- I'm from Wisconsin, never worked in Eau Claire -- but any idiot with a web browser can find out that Doug Mell was the managing editor, and apparently he's leaving.

We can do one of two things here: We can just spell things out when we rip people at papers. Or we can not rip.

But doing it with hints and shit like that makes absolutely no sense, just wastes everybody's time.

9. PP and K

PP and K New Member

So, MM, have you worked for or with this ME? I would hope so, given your description of the situation. Or are you sharing second-hand information from your pals?

Yes, editors can be difficult. Not exactly a revelation. No, this ME was not my direct supervisor. Still, I wouldn't trade the time I spent working with this ME for anything. I learned a lot.

I doubt anyone is interested in hearing that. Apparently, it's more fun to have a pinata.

10. EgregiousMistakes

PP AND K -- You are the only one who has anything good to say about him. Mell is one of two reasons I left the paper to accept a job for the same amount of money at a slightly bigger paper.

It was that bad ... and clearly, you have never worked in the sports department under Mell. If you had, you would feel the same way. I'm not someone who was fired or did a poor job while working under him. I'm just someone who quickly grew tired of his BS ... I learned absolutely nothing from him, and my time there could have been enjoyable had his office not been next door.

That's that. Nobody is hiding here buddy.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Reposted Friday, Sept. 29 on JournalismJobs.com:

Company: Leader-Telegram
    Position:
    WANT A GREAT SPORTS JOB?
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    November 3, 2006
    Job ID: 621558
    Description:
    JOIN OUR SPORTS TEAM -- The Leader-Telegram in Eau Claire, a mid-sized daily in west-central Wisconsin, seeks a full-time reporter/copy editor/page designer for its Sports Department. Main job duties will include the production of a four- to 12-page section several nights a week and game coverage and feature writing. Our four-person staff dedicates its coverage to 11 high school conferences, two NCAA Division III universities and a Northwoods League baseball team in the summer. The qualified applicant will have a college degree in a related field and writing, reporting and layout experience. Knowledge of Quark Express and Adobe Photoshop is a plus, but a good eye for design and the ability to write on deadline is a must. Please send a cover letter, resume, layout samples, game stories and features by Oct.13 to Editor Don Huebscher, P.O. Box 570, Eau Claire, WI, 54702. No phone calls.

Draft saved Draft deleted