1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Richards RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 13, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Ann Richards dead?

I'll have to admit, as a Republican, that was a great line. And she gave a great speech that night.
    Then Ted Kennedy blew it when that old blowhard got up and gave his stupid "Where was George?" speech...as in "Where was George during Iran-Contra?" ... "Where was George when AIDS got out of hand?" etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.
    To which Republicans came up with T-shirts that said on the front, "Where was George?" and on the back, "Dry, sober and home with his wife."

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Re: Ann Richards dead?

RIP to tough, funny and classy woman who had the good sense to date Bill Dauterive.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I wish there were more Democrats like her.

Well, I mean, like she was ...

4. No fan of her politics, but she was all right othewise.

RIP

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm nowhere near Texas, but had heard plenty about her wit and good nature. Proof that some politicians are still human.

RIP. Keep Pounding.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, I liked her -- thought she was funny, smart, glib and honest.

But also keep in mind that she was the one who first lost to Dubya, setting us on the path we are on now...

Still a helluva lady

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Slappy, she lost in the "Contract With America" that swept out Mario Cuomo as well. She didn't have a prayer. We still have Molly Ivins around, at least. R.I.P., Ann.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She always struck me as someone who, in public, would have to guts to say "How the hell did I lose to him?"

Glib, smart person...

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

RIP. She was an excellent role model for girls and young women. And perhaps older women, too.

11. Turfburger

Turfburger Member

And she had a thing for sports writers, as I believe she and Bud Shrake were an item. A great woman and an even greater Texan.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

While working in the Dallas market some 15 years ago, I witnessed one of the biggest political collapses ever.
    Clayton Williams, Texas oil baron, was leading Ann Richards by a landslide margin in the 1990 governor's race before making a comment which upset many of his prospective supporters.
    He was queried on the topic of rape, and said something to the effect that "women who were in that position should simply lean back and enjoy it. There was nothing they could do about it so just accept it."
    This caused a massive shift in the polls and Richards eked out a win.

And yes, I think the mag cover of her in a biker's get-up was in Texas Monthly several years ago. She donned all-black and a few chains.

Really cool woman who, by the tone of her raspy and deep voice, always conjured up in my mind the image of a heavy smoker.
    I never actually saw her smoke, though, so I can't be sure of it.

Smart, interesting person who indeed likely motivated lots and lots of youngsters to strive for big things.

Draft saved Draft deleted