1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Designer | San Jose Mercury News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tball, Sep 8, 2006.

1. tball

tball New Member

The San Jose Mercury News has a rare opening for a top-notch sports designer, and we want to see your stuff.

The ability to do high-impact work is more important than where you are now or where you've been.

Who are we looking for? A designer with enthusiasm for storytelling, who has a thorough understanding of the content he or she is working with, who knows the power of great photography and has respect for the same and a bold, creative thinker who will offer new ideas and fit right in with the collegial staff we boast.

The successful candidate will be responsible for planning and execution of the Sunday sports section, as well as sharing responsibility for special sections and projects.

The Merc's visuals team is second to none, and we're only getting better. In the last couple months, we've added some incredible talent to our staff and, as you can see, we're not stopping there.

Our sports team has made a commitment to in-depth storytelling, with more time, effort and reporters devoted to enterprise than in the past. It's working out wonderfully.

We're also looking to move very quickly on this hire. Interested? Don't waste any time. Mail (or overnight) a copy of your resume, 5-10 of your best clips, and a brief cover letter detailing what you can bring to the table.

Feel free to e-mail expressing your interest - or with any questions - but after that, please also drop some hard-copy material in the mail.

Tim Ball
    Assistant Sports Editor | Design
    San Jose Mercury News
    750 Ridder Park Drive
    San Jose, CA 95190

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Under new not so great ownership.

3. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

New ownership or not, it's still the Merc. I know that's sycophantic, but I love that paper.
    I got passed over last time. But still interested. Maybe persistence will pay off this time ... Lots to learn here, and its one of the 10 best looking papers in the States.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Also a new sports editor.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

in summation:

New Sports Editor: Good.
    New Owner: Not good.

6. fromdawntodesk

fromdawntodesk New Member

What happened to Craig Lancaster?

7. carrie

carrie Active Member

For those who care, this is a "World's Best" design staff.
    Cutting-edge graphic and visual storytelling.
    And the content ain't too bad either.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Yes, but ...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/33582/

9. carrie

carrie Active Member

Left_Coast, fair point.

DyePack ... fuck off, you waste of fucking space.

(TBall - I apologize for destroying your thread, because I respect you and I know that you're trying to provide others with an opportunity that they might not realize otherwise, but I have to do this).

Dye - you are fucking worthless to this board. You make threads unreadable. You destroy any form of discussion because of your hatred for visual packaging. Actually, you destroy ANY thread because of your hatred for any other view.

I'm sorry it's not 1982 anymore.

I'm sorry papers are trying to trending themselves towards readers who actually have jobs and don't have the entire day to pour over papers, looking for faults. I'm sorry papers are trending themselves towards younger readers. I'm sorry papers are moving towards different ways of thinking.

So do yourself a favor and fuck off. You bring nothing to this. You've been banned from one board on this site already. In my happiest dreams, you'll be banned entirely.

Then this board as a whole can return to actually serving a purpose, instead of you using it as your personal journalism shitter. Seeing as you have no other professional journalism outlet to vent on, since you've been banned from every professional site other than this one.

Tim, again, I'm sorry for this rant.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Would it be better to have this gig or ASE at Salt Lake Tribune? Either way, Singleton's involved.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I was shocked to see this thread.

The Merc is about to axe 100 jobs, 40 some from the newsroom, and yet ... "let's go out and hire a designer while we send guys who are already here home without a job?"

Am I missing something?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I would say Salt Lake is the easier call. Because not only does it appear layoffs are coming in San Jose/Northern California, but MediaNews wants to cut back on salaries by something like 30 percent. And it's already hard enough to live in that area from a cost of living standpoint.

Draft saved Draft deleted