1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wie finishes dead last, misses cut at European Masters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 8, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2578824

Here's a trivia question:

Name Michelle Wie's last win.

2. Jesus_Christ

Jesus_Christ New Member

I like this headline from Yahoo

I think Wie is a huge talent and will one day could be the Tiger Woods of the LPGA.

That is if she wants to be the Tiger Woods of the LPGA.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What is a 16-year-old native of Hawaii doing playing in something called "European Masters"?

Sounds like an event that Seve Ballesteros and his ilk should be playing in.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

DFL? Maybe it's time for Michelle to go home, put the clubs away for a month and be a kid.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The biggest problem for Wei is she is not allowed to play on the LPGA tour more than a small handful of events because of her age -- despite being a professional.

So, in order for her to compete at all outside those limited LPGA events, she must take exemptions from PGA, Nationwide, European and Asian tour events. And there will be no shortage of sponsors happy to get her there so they can get better ratings and sell more admissions.

I hope as soon as she gets full LPGA tour eligibility she'll play 90 percent of her tournaments on that tour where she can refine her game.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Does Wie really want full LPGA status? I seem to remember reading in one of the national golf magazines that the esteemed commish would love to have her but Wie hasn't applied because if she was granted membership, she would only be able to play in two tournaments opposite LPGA events and would therefore forfeit loads of appearance money. It sounds like whoever is guiding this kid's career (daddy?) is a boob that's in it strictly for the money.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Her last and only victory was the 2003 U.S. Women's Public Links, in Palm Coast, Fla.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That gives her plenty of time to rest up so that she can miss the cut at the 84 Lumber Classic, which she'll be in next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted