1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst helmets in the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Sep 8, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Rams? I'd vote for them as the NFL's best helmets. Besides, that's historic. They were the first NFL team with a helmet logo, back in the '40s (I think). My recollection is one of their players painted Rams horns on his helmet just because, and people liked it so the team picked it up.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, here it is (thanks, Google). From the Rams Web site:

The Rams Horn
    Halfback Fred Gehrke, an art major in college, made a pen-and-ink sketch of a ram's horn in 1947 and showed the rendering to Bob Snyder, the team's head coach. Gehrke suggested the design would make an eye-catching addition to the team's helmets. Snyder could not visualize the artwork, so Gehrke painted the design on the leather headgear. The following season, the Rams became the first pro team with a helmet insignia. Today, the Cleveland Browns are the only NFL team without a helmet logo.

Gehrke's effort required considerable maintenance. The paint would chip off the helmets from the numerous player collisions during games. Gehrke would take many helmets home after games and retouch the horn. The problem was lessened in 1949, when the Rams went to a plastic helmet, and disappeared in 1972, when decals with strong adhesive backing were used on the helmets.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

funny, i just had this conversation the other day...

let's see, the titans are certainly there, as are the dolphins. not a big dan of the bills, either. seahawks, falcons, racists, not real happy with what the vikings have done, broncos, ravens,

4. Jesus_Christ

Jesus_Christ New Member

Worst helmets

1. Browns -- just blah
    2. Bills -- They need to go back to the white hats
    3. Broncos -- I long for the D to return

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Great, the helmet is historic. It's got a rich history. And it still sucks. Sometimes historic is still bad.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Slight digression, but what is it about Miami? Teal and orange are not football colors, they're prom decorations...or my Aunt Bea's makeup. And it's not just the Dolphins, how about those Marlins World Series rings? Look, a rare blue ruby fisheye! Would you give Mickey Mantle a blue fisheye?? And the Heat fans in white, like some gigantic Moonie wedding!

And don't even mention Jimmy Johnson's hair.

What's this about?

Oh yeah, best helmets, Cleveland and Chicago. Simple, clean, not cute. Hate cute in football.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly, just keep it simple. I love Chicago's unis.

EDIT: But I do like the Falcons and Cardinals jerseys.

8. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

The Blue Hens now even match their own uniform. Delaware has worn royal blue jerseys for years, but up until about three years ago they still wore Michigan helmets with navy blue.

9. Definitely the Titans (flaming thumbtacks) and Patriots (flying Elvis).

Gross.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Titans sucks, Patriots suck.

The new Rams suck, but the Roman Gabriel-era helmets rocked.

Love the Giants ny.

Bills, Broncos, suck, suck.

I like the Cowboys' white throwbacks.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of the Falcons' lids. I think they should go back to this color scheme:

[​IMG]

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They should just go back to leather.

Draft saved Draft deleted