1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC college towns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. How could I forget Taylor Grocery? Fantastic food, great setting.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have never heard of Fat Tire outside of this board.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Baton Rouge - Gotta go with seafood: Druscilla's (huge portions for dinner platters), Bouthan's (fun joint, kinda pricey with excellent food) or Mike Anderson's (great seafood lunch). I've heard there's a sports bar called Sammy's there that's really good, too. Walk-on's is a pretty cool sports bar right off campus with solid food.

Tuscaloosa - Avoid Dreamland. You will come out feeling ass-raped. Mike and Ed's is good for BBQ or, if you can find it, Archibald's. El Rincon's on The Strip is the best of the (TexMex) Mexican places.

Lexington - A couple of great Italian places: Gisseppe's and Bella Note. Cheap Side is a great bar for fun atmosphere, beer and American food.

Columbia - The Blue Marlin in is top-notch.

Athens - What's the name of the burrito place in Athens on the main street running perpendicular to campus? Is that the Taco Stand? If so, really good.

Oxford - City Grocery, as stated, is very good. I've also heard that 208 is a great place, but never had the pleasure.

Arkansas - Is Herman's still in business? Heard it was great, never been.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you get lost trying to find Drusilla Seafood, call me. I live a short walk away.

5. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Tuscaloosa ...

I second the motion to avoid Dreamland.

Check out Mellow Mushroom, Baumhower's Wings, 15th Street, City Cafe (in Northport), Pepitos, Tut's.

They also have the standards like Outback, Olive Garden, Chili's, Applebee's, Hooters, etc.

Don't like seafood, so I don't know. Try Red Lobster.

And then there's the Guthrie's drive-thru. The only one where the window is tall enough to let you enjoy the full view of the sorority sister who still screws up your order despite the fact they only have one menu item.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

MEllow Mushroom is pretty good.
    But dog? You can ALWAYS beat cheese grits for breakfast...

7. Sorry.
    I love Dreamland.

8. Jesus_Christ

Jesus_Christ New Member

I'm fond of deSha's in Lexington, but it's right across the street from Rupp. Not really close to Commonwealth Stadium.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Gonna disagree with you there. I hate grits, which has led most of my family to question my heritage. But these damned things are delicious.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'll take Jim and Nicks over Dreamland any day. Dreamland ain't bad, don't get me wrong, but it was much better back when it was two guys in a roadside shack.

11. There are a few good restaurants in Columbia. Check out Rockaway Athletic Club, a couple of miles from the stadium. The place burned down a few years ago, but they rebuilt it and it's very nice for what it is (a bar and grill). Huge, good burgers and lotsa fries. I think they still don't have a sign out front.

That and other Colatown restaurants can be found here, if you're interested...

http://www.free-times.com/Guides/Bites_Sights_2006/bites_contents_2006.html

12. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I still manage to hit Dreamland's when I go to Tuscaloosa. I make even more of a point of it after going to the yuppiefied versions of Dreamland up in Atlanta (it's like every other bbq joint in the world with a meat and two).

We hit Herman's in Arkansas last year's trip and that was some damn good steak. Some of the best I'd had in a while. There was another joint there that wasn't so bad, but I heard it burned down.

As for Auburn: There's Mike & Ed's and Bryon's for BBQ. Provino's is supposed to be very good, although I haven't tried it yet. The lemonade is just lemonade at Toomer's, but if you're looking for atmosphere, it is a must-do. It's just neat to walk around in Toomer's. Plus, you can stock up early on your TP. There are a couple of decent mexican restaurants, although Acapulco's off College can be kind of slow. Nothing else really comes to mind right now.

One thing I hate about road trips is when I DON'T get the chance to try out the local stuff. For instance, Starkville. It's a 12:30 (ET) game and you have to stay in Columbus. So basically, you don't even reach Starkville til 2 hours before game time and you go straight to the stadium. You're there for hours and then just want to get the hell on down the road again.

Draft saved Draft deleted