1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on Scout and Rivals...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoops4Me, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

The "facts" are that you can't believe any online viewer statistics for any Web site/network.

Rivals will show numbers that they're bigger than Scout. Scout will show numbers that they're bigger than Rivals.

When I worked at SportsLine, we used numbers that didn't jibe with ESPN's and vice versa.

They all use different metrics and twist them in their favor.

But back to the Rivals/Scout debate, it really depends on the market. At Florida State, the Rivals site is gargantuan and the Scout site is almost non-existent. At Miami, it's exactly the opposite.

There are good people at some sites and worthless people at others ... just like any industry.

2. Yankee

Yankee Member

9 out of 10 might be a little high. And for the record, how many newspaper people are "journalists." I know several reporters who work at papers from the very small to the very large that are blatent and unabashed homers and would rather cut off their left nut than right anything negative or dig up dirt.

Journalism as a whole has taken a nosedive over the last generation or so.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Can whoever started this thread please change it to "Thoughts on Scout"?

Dr. Scout abides.

4. Nothing But Net

Nothing But Net New Member

Warchant is the biggest of all Rivals sites. In fact, Rivals paid the owner some $3 million to switch from Scout to Rivals. The people with Warchant are good folk. It would be pointless to have an FSU site for Scout. Conversely, it's pointless for Rivals to have a site that coveres UNC, which is one of the largest in the Scout network.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This sums up this entire thread. If people thought reporters were cockroaches before ...

I think it's a matter of being comfortable enough with ourselves to be OK with these guys being called journalists and realize that there's a major difference between a "journalist" and a "good journalist." Just because you work for an established print or online product (like ESPN, SportsLine, FOX) doesn't make you good and just because you work for one of these sites doesn't make you bad, though percentages skew accordingly in each sector.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And I remember when some sports sections were hiring professional wrestling columnists.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The NCAA is going to wake up to what? You can't make any meaningful distinction between Rivals/Scout guys and the local paper beat guy who's been writing fluff for years at the behest of the school. The Knoxville News Sentinel's web site is called GoVols.com for crying out loud. Singling out "web yahoos" for a crackdown involving the NCAA is using the same false logic as saying all people of Arabic descent are terrorists. You contention is niether mutually exclusive, nor mutually exhaustive.

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Are you fucking kidding? $3 mill? Yowza!

9. WS

WS Member

Scout also has team sites for all major professional sports. Rivals does not.

With that being said, all people who cover strictly recruiting are goobers in my book.

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I love the idea of these sites, but as has been mentioned, they usually try to stir up shit against a rival school and push recruits toward theirs. they also like to use way too many leading questions to make it sound good for their school, as has also been mentioned by many. the idea is nice, the execution is not.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

If they were still doing this, circulation numbers would be going the other way (tapping finger on temple) </Bobby "The Brain" Heenan>

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why can't people in our business spell? Three posts very close to this one have basic words that aren't spelled right.
    Sorry, that just chaps my ass.

Again, depends on where you are, I guess, in how you view these sites. I'm very familiar with Rivals, don't think I've ever seen or been on a Scout site.

Draft saved Draft deleted