1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle P.I. enterprise

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 85bears, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

Great gig, but is the uncertainty worth it?

Company: Seattle P-I
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 12, 2006
    Job ID: 668970

Description:
    The Seattle Post-Intelligencer is looking for a dynamic, do-it-all sportswriter who can handle a wide variety of feature, trend, breaking news and investigative stories.
    This isn't a covering-games position, though you will do some of that, especially during the Seahawks season. This is a general-assignment job. We're looking for a bulldog reporter who is as comfortable with public records as game records. When news breaks involving our athletes or teams, you will be expected to take the lead role and work with others from throughout the newsroom as the story develops.

Versatility and a proven work history as a self-starter are key. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of daily newspaper experience, with a background in news and a portfolio full of compelling features.

Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and about a dozen clips showing your range of coverage and story approaches. Submissions can be mailed to sports editor, Ron Matthews at 101 Elliott Ave West, Seattle, WA, 98119; or e-mailed to ronmatthews@seattlepi.com.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Ron Matthews is a cool guy.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

didn't someone already post this ;D

4. 85bears

85bears Member

Don't know how I missed it!

5. brownsugar

brownsugar New Member

Does anyone know if they are really going to stick to the 5 years experience needed at a daily or is that negotiable?

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

FWIW, I have a friend with about two years of professional experience who recently applied and interviewed for a job that advertised a three-year minimum requirement.
    Bottom line is be realistic about your own qualifications, no matter how many years you've been in the business.

7. abcdefg

abcdefg Guest

I'm guessing if you don't know the uncertainty 85Bears refers to, you're probably not the kind of reporter the P-I is looking for.

So Seattle insiders, is this just another formality posting with Matthews forced to hire from within? Or are they really going to look at outside candidates? What does Matthews tell potential hires about the future of the paper?

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

If he's truthful and realistic, he'll tell them to rent, not buy.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Ooohhh, burn. But funny.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wonder what he says to them about the Seattle Times?

Draft saved Draft deleted