1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Bend, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. brownsugar

brownsugar New Member

Lester, That's not always true about Oregon paper only hiring from in-state. I moved from Florida to take a sports writing job at an Oregon paper. So that's about as far away as you can get.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Wow ... and to think I was complaining about having to schlep here from Nebraska.

Much respect to you.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My first gig was at at Oregon non-daily. I'd still be there if I could afford it.

That said, I hate Oregon. Sure, Bend is beautiful, but it's a freaking road trip once you leave town. And forget trying to cross the pass in the winter in your little beater.

They have just two seasons in Oregon: The rainy season is about nine months. After that, it's hot as hell for three.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's if you're on the green side of the state. ;D

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Two hours to Portland is a road-trip? Try living in Texas.
    Oregon is not nearly as rainy as Western Washington and I can think of much worse climates to live in. Oregon, much like Washington, actually has four seasons which is more than you can say for most of the south.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lester, consider yourself called out.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

obviously you lived nowhere near bend.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

correct. portland gets about a third of the rain seattle receives. bend receives less than p-town.

this, actually, is a pretty good gig. i do understand there is a helluva strong candidate who's interested, though, and the bulletin would be silly not to hire him.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Fair 'nuff. Like I said, there was a good chance I had no idea what I was talking about. Simply repeating perceptions of others. I've never applied to an Oregon paper, so I've no experience with it whatsoever, thus the disclaimer.

10. HandsomeHarley

I think I could see myself living in Oregon again, except for one man living on the other side of the mountains from Bend. I always said I would never set foot in the state again until he was 6 feet under.

That said, I like thunderstorms and tornadoes, and watching the Chiefs every weekend during football season too much to want to go back.

Honestly, Oregon is made up of two separate pieces of real estate: The I-5 corridor/west of the Cascades, which is wet, green, and where most of the people live, and the east side of the Cascades, where it is mostly high desert, barren, sparse, and where 95% of the thunderstorms hit.

Bend is like an oasis on the east side of the Cascades.

Interesting story: One of my first job interviews right out of college was in Prineville. Great interview, didn't get the job. About a week later, the city flooded.

Another interview at the Scappoose paper (between Portland and Astoria for you map buffs). Great interview, didn't get the job. Aboout a week later, the town flooded.

Computer operator job interview in a town near Sacramento (Don't remember the town - may have started with a 'Y'). Not a good interview, didn't get the job (thankfully - would have been stuck in Radier territory), the dam broke and flooded the city.

True stories. /threadjack

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It sounds like you're not going to apply, but just in case: Please don't endanger my extended family by interviewing in Bend or Beaverton!

12. HandsomeHarley

If I do, they'd better offer me the job! /evil smiley

Actually, I have a friend in Beaverton. Used to work for him. Name's Gilchrist. Too close to metro for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted