1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChollyTrippi, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She's got Betty Sabra eyes (clap-clap clap). [/Weird Al version of Kim Carnes song]

2. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Here's what happened last semester (high school):

There was a teacher who supposedly taught journalism. Apparently, it was a spin-off of the yearbook course. Well, because I was completely unaware of this course I didn't take. However, the experience I had already was invaluable to the class -- and the teacher.

Here's a list of the stuff I did:
    1) the entire layouts (for four issues; three newsletters and one newsprint)
    2) wrote 40 per cent of the paper -- 95 per cent of involved quotes, which were seldom used in other students'.
    3) showed students how to use InDesign (this was my first time using it, too)
    4) covered certain sport team beats (about three or four stories were for the paper, the other 25+ were for practice)

Here's what the teacher did:
    1) edit the stories (WAAAY too many mistakes. Still trying to figure out how she received an English degree?
    2) tell students to write "stuff"
    3) supervise meetings
    4) bring in doughnuts! ;D

My advice for a teacher who HAS the experience: ditch the textbook. Any graduate knows learning out a textbook is tedious. Inspire them. Get them off their seats with stories that will keep their attention -- isn't that what journalism is all about?

Be funny. No student likes a stiff @$$ teacher. Make your class unique.

I just thought of this now: how about creating a style guide for your class. Ask them what they believe is the proper way to write something?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: provide them with endless grammar lessons/tips. The Elements of Style is a real gem.

3. Mudbone

Mudbone New Member

Here's a good resource from my student teaching days: www.highschooljournalism.org

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Those who can not do, teach.

5. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the "miss a deadline, don't pass the class" idea. I am also in favor of "spell a name wrong, fail the assignment."

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's a ridiculous outcome for one missed assignment. It's fucking high school.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You miss a deadline at my professional shop, there's a house ad with your name on it. Miss it twice, and you're out of a job. Anything that reinforces the importance of making deadline is a good thing.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

In no way am I saying deadlines aren't of the utmost importance. I'm just saying it's high school. Nobody should fail a class because they missed one assignment, unless it's a senior term paper or something.

9. Mudbone

Mudbone New Member

If they don't do an assignment they should get a 0. Turn in a half-assed story, don't accept it.

Missing a deadline is another story. Deadlines should be structured so that if the student asks for an extension it could be given. You can't expect a student who is in other extra-curricular activites to devote all their time to your class.

However, if they don't make the said deadline, a set amount of points is deducted every day. My advice is have this policy in place at the beginning of the school year so every student knows the rules from the start.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That is a fucktarded policy.

Once the alleged journalists get into the newsroom, they learn quickly they can fuck up all the time without consequences. Failing them on an assignment accomplishes absolutely nothing.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I agree to an extent with both. I got caught on the spell a name wrong rule once in j-school and I certainly learned to double check things. As for miss a deadline, I agree, but you have to make sure the deadlines are reasonable. I remember that a) students have piles of other homework, and b) most sources out there realistically don't care if they brush off a student phone call. If you want quality, give them reasonable expectations for deadlines or give them stories that don't require extensive source work.

12. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I'd advocate miss a deadline, lose one full letter grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted