1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban gets a little crabby with Shrub

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 31, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

For once, Lyman, I agree. Would I turn down the chance to have dinner with Bush? Probably not, especially if I thought there was any chance we could have a meaningful debate or discussion on big issues in this country.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Meaningful debate? That's a good one, Alley.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You know, as much as I bash Bush ... something I do enjoy ... I don't expect that a dinner with him would be like having dinner with a drooling Steve Martin from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. And yes, I would expect that if we debated an issue over dinner, it would be civilized, not me calling him a dicksnort and him getting the Secret Service to use tazers on my testicles.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Proud Bush-basher here. But I think this story says more about Nick Saban that it does about GWB. Isn't Saban known for being, well, a little prickly? That's what I've heard at least.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Given how the sports talk world skews a bit rightward, Nicky's gonna be taking some pretty big hits if the Fish come out of the gate slow. This isn't quite the Ryder Cup team stiffing Clinton before captain Tom Watson (a avowed conservative himself) put his foot down.

6. I don't want to turn this into a nonstop insult thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

But again, had I the chance to share a dinner table with him for 2-3 hours, wild horses wouldn't have kept me away. Maybe meeting a president is no big deal to Saban -- after all, he's met Bush before, and he met Clinton, too -- but it is to me.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If I believed the president to be a war criminal, I would never have dinner with him.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

That's probably what it is in a nutshell.

My feelings on Bush are no secret, and I agree with the poster that said a president should be expected to be on the job every second of every day. But ripping the guy for asking someone to have dinner is a bit of a stretch.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

How long does W. have to wait for a table at Joe's without greasing someone?

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Good for Nick Saban.
    I respect the office of the Presidency, but I don't have to respect the empty suit who happens to be president. I would neither have dinner with him nor would I shake his hand. Sorry.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'd be willing to bet that Saban is more interested in using his snubbing of Fredo for personal gain as a football coach than whatever implication politically exists.

"I blew off the President to be with you worthless worms! Drop and give me 50! I'm too busy looking to improve this worthless bunch to spend time having my dinner paid for by President! Time for sprints!"

While I dislike this president and feel his job performance is about as shitty as it gets, I would have dinner with him. Like any good employer, I would be direct in questioning my employee on the various decisions he made.

12. Turnbull AC's

Turnbull AC's Member

No time off. Right.

Draft saved Draft deleted