1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This firing seems extreme to me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Columbo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Alisha_H

Alisha_H New Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah the station was pushing knee jerk options that must have been pretty severe if the guy felt resigning was the best way to go. Not too different from what I envisioned except some poor producer is also on the hook.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Alisha, what was in the article about what happened that we didn't already know?

4. Alisha_H

Alisha_H New Member

Just clarifying ... the title of this thread is "firing" --- Chuck "resigned"

And, there are other possible factors that led to the resignation -- and not just the airing of the "s" word --

From the article:

"Howard's contract had expired about four weeks earlier and he and the station were in negotiations for a new one."

"Howard is said to be among candidates ESPN is interested in for a motor sports program it is developing for next year."

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Sounds like Howard was a decent guy, though. Whether or not it was his fault the taping aired, he took responsibility as sports director. I know a lot of editors who, in the past, have thrown their employees out to the wolves by not supporting them and taking blame when something bad happens. At one of my past spots, there was no support. If something was done wrong, a person better learn to cover their ass quickly because otherwise, the angry person was told it was the reporters fault and they would fix it before even talking to the reporter to find out what happened.

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

What bull#^&* (just in case FCC is monitoring sportsjournalists.com).

I am beginning to get so fed up with the moral compase in this nation that it is beginning to affect my judgment. It's to a point now that whenever a cause is touted by the moral majority (re: religious wackos) that even if the cause is good, I dismiss it. If it's tied to the Jerry Falwell-Pat Roberton-? Dobson-Fred Phelps crowd, it must be evil.

And I'm right of center!

I am tired of raising your children. Raise em yourself. They hear fuck, shit, piss, damn, etc ... all the time. DEAL WITH IT! I'm even more tired of so-called Christians acting unChristian-like.

I know, I know ... what does this have to do with this guy's resignation (and FYI ... what happened to the producer/editor of the piece?). Maybe nothing; maybe everything. It just all smells of coming from the same rotting roots.

Sorry ... had to go off on a rare rant there. ACE will likely get a kick out of it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mgo,

Get happy, Dude. Have some exclamation points!!!!!!!

And a guy being fired or resigning after refusing to accept whatever punishment the station wants to mete out is all pretty much the same thing, really.

8. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

Sounds more like a mutual parting of ways after a disagreement on how to handle what -- really, folks -- is a slip-up.

A Detroit radio reporter flubbed the opening of her report, paused, said someting to the effect of "Well, f***ed that up, okay, 3, 2, 1..." and read it right the second time through.

Of course the tape got queued up to the first version and it aired. The all-news station ran, if I recall correctly (and if I don't, maybe Slappy can clear up any confusion...), an apology every hour or so for a 24 hours. Then it was over. She's still working there, and this is a decade or so later.

Sounds like Howard will land on his feet -- spup1122 is right about him seeming like a stand-up guy. How many people (bosses or otherwise) can look you in the eye and say, "I'm responsible" without going on and on with the wherefores and whys.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would say there's pretty much no chance that the anchor had anything at all to do with the wrong tape airing.

I would guess this had much more to do with his contract situation, because otherwise it's ridiculously chickenshit.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

So, is "prominent news personality" Larry Sprinkle the weatherman at this station? Or is he the alternative-lifestyle reporter who's into watersports? :-X ;D

On a more serious note, was this incident even worth 1/10 of the reaction? If I read correctly (and it's very late right now, so I may not have done that) this screw-up aired one time at 5:51 a.m. Does anyone even watch this station at that time? Damn, there were probably more people in Casey Kasem's studio when he went all Falling Down on the AT40 staff.

Ah, if it were only that easy. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted