1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your DVD collection

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I own less than 20. Most have been given to me. Quite a few are sports movies. Did wrangle custody of the Harry Potter DVDs from the ex. Never understood paying $20 a pop to own something you may watch once.

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

I probably own more than a hundred. I think I've watched the entire series of The Critic about a thousand times. Though the first two seasons of Arrested Development and all the ATHF DVDs probably get the most play. I'm just a sucker for repackaged TV.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What she said.

4. Farbecker

Farbecker Active Member

I'm afraid to count how many I have, but I know the number is well over 100. Between The Simpsons, Seinfeld and South Park collections, that's a ton of money I've spent right there.
    I am proud to say I haven't bought a DVD in the past four months, though that's bound to change soon because the final season of Arrested Development is coming out in the next couple of weeks.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have just a handful of DVDs that I have bought. My wife tends to buy more.

The first I bought was "Cast Away," because I was really interested in breaking it down Ebert style and learning more about how the movie was made.

I have been given all of the Pee Wee's Playhouse DVDs, which is cool. I really want the full run of Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs, maybe Santa can deliver.

I have a feeling DVDs will quickly become obsolete, so I have avoided buying a big pile of them.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Of all the DVDs I own, I've watched each at least twice, probably more. But I'm never going to buy a movie I'm only going to watch once. If I own it, I'm watching it. Kinda stupid otherwise.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whenever it came time to switch from VHS tapes to DVD, I swore I wouldn't end up with a bunch of crappy movies like the ones on my tape collection. Three years later, and I've managed to keep my vow. I only have about a dozen DVDs, and other than a few bad ones that have been given as gifts, they're all pretty top flight:

Saving Private Ryan
    Spider-Man 2
    Training Day
    This is Spinal Tap
    Rounders
    Reservoir Dogs
    Lord of the Rings
    Family Guy, Vol. 1-3

And a few others I can't remember. I try not to spend more than $10 on a DVD, since I rarely watch them more than once or twice.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My collection is nearing 400. I have about 70 that I've never watched on DVD and, of those, about 20 that I've never seen at all (the other 50 are movies I've seen before, just not since I bought them).

Part of it is just the cinephile in me. I love movies, I watch them all the time and I try to watch as broad a spectrum as I can. The other part of it is having a "good" collection. For instance, I bought a three-pack of Ben-Hur, Casablanca and Gone With the Wind. Ben-Hur is the only one I've watched, but I figure, what kind of a movie collector doesn't have Casablanca or Gone with the Wind?

I don't own a lot of TV shows. Just Band of Brothers, Seasons 1-4 of Smallville, Seasons 1 and 2 of Arrested Development and Seasons 1-3 of Family Guy. I'm just more of a movie person than TV.

It's stupid, sure, and obviously expensive. But hey, some people buy lots of clothes, others buy sports memorabilia. Me? I buy movies. I like knowing that on any given rainy day, I can see a movie I've never seen before without walking out of my house. I also like knowing that I can watch my favorite movies at any time I choose. I often pop a movie in the DVD player when I go to bed and fall asleep to it. A week later, I'll have seen the whole thing. Some people listen to music when they go to bed, I watch movies.

And as far as them going the way of VHS, it will happen eventually, but the next generation of home movies are almost sure to still play DVDs, much the way PS2 plays PS1 games, so they'll last a long time.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Exactly. If you pay more than 10 bucks or so for movies, it's too much. Check the checkouts in Target every week, they have a whole rack of $10 movies and another rack of $14 movies.

And if you buy a new release within the first week it comes out, it's almost always on sale.

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I got about 170, and watch them all many times.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

tv sets are best to buy the week they come out. movies will always go down in price. tv sets only once in a while (and still pissed i missed the rescue me sale at target)

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I recently picked up Good Morning Vietnam and Hot Shots! for 5 bucks each... a very solid $10 purchase.

And I've got The Thrill of It All, the official documentary of Kansas City's 1985 World Championship season. In it, you can clearly see the Cardinals choking. It's fun to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted