1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking for a raise now

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lion_Woods, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

With the state of the business now, it is even possible to ask or receive a decent raise at the paper you are working for? People are being laid off. Sections are shrinking. Work expenses are being questioned more than ever. With all these attempts to save money, are papers even willing to reward solid employees?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

[​IMG]

3. That's a great pic...

What's in it for them to give you a raise?

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not if you want the answer to be no. Then it's ideal.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I recently went through something similar. Did everything they asked when it came to what it would take to get an extra raise, and they still turned me down.
    If you want a raise, try and get a new job and then just leave, cause most papers don't even care when solid reporters jump ship.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

most papers have a certain time of the year when they dish out raise -- at least the ones I'm familiar with. Going in to the boss at any other time of the year is a waste of time.
    For us, it's usually the first of the year. at others, it's the end of the financial year.

7. LemMan

LemMan Member

If you think you merit a raise, by all means, ask. The worst that can happen is you're told that, due to financial constraints, it can't happen. But it never hurts to ask.

8. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

from my experiences, if you are worth it, they will give you a raise ... just don't tell me you've been at your place for something stupid like eight months or something like that, though.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Well, what about two years? I did get a raise last year around this time (give or take a week or two) and I would hope something could be done about getting some extra cheese.

11. invest in Real Estate

12. Turnbull AC's

Turnbull AC's Member

The worst that could happen is you're told you don't deserve it.

Draft saved Draft deleted