1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/paginator, New Bern, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lesboulez, Jul 20, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would blow it up, but I'm busy.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

If you like the water, boating, sailing, etc., this is a great spot for that along the Neuse River and beyond.

3. It's still quite a bit fom greenvile, about 35-40 minutes, but greenville is a fairly nice college town. I lived in New Bern while working in Kinston about 8 years ago because Kinston was, how do I put this, a steaming pile of a dump.  It is a retirement kind of town with quite a it of charm n the downtown area. Homeplece of Pepsi and all that. When i left it, it was really nice with brick streets downtown, older shops and farly well taken care of. And the cost of livign was dirt cheap but I'm willing to bet the pay is pretty low. When I worked in Kinston, I got about 18,500 a year as a sports writer there. I almost made the move to the Sun Journal, and I remember the pay was abotu the same, but I took a job elsewhere. i can't immagine the pay is much better, but the area is nice, and you are about 30 minutes or less from the Atlantic coast. It's all in what you want from it. You may or may not get to cover ECU, but if you do, there's a beat to be made there. (Sometimes the Freedom papers join rescources on their beats, and I think Kinston and New Bern are both Freedom, Kinston being closer to Greenville and the biggies to the west.) I liked my time in New Bern but, in hindsight, am glad I gt out. This could be a good start for an aspiring youg writer. It's as easy a life as you want to make of it.

4. ps please ignore the typos. i'm tired, lazy and am not used to working on a laptop. ???

5. redsox99

redsox99 Member

My son played summer ball in New Bern last year. They have a team in the Coastal Plain League that the paper covers. Not sure if they travel any. Seemed like an OK place, not far from the beach. College BB players on the team seemed to really like it and the plans last year were to build a minor league-type ballpark for the collegiate league team. Some movers and shakers in town own the team and they were talking about pumping some money into the team. So you'd also get a chance to see and cover some top-notch college BB in the summer. It's a fairly long haul from R/D area on a 2-lane highway. It is a nice town, though with the usual chain restaurants, some nice golf courses, etc. and a historic downtown area on the river. I know absolutely nothing of the paper, but that's what I know of the town.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

At least two of the others, Rocky Mount and Wilson, cover ACC sports (Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State) in addition to ECU.

By the way, who is leaving the Sun Journal?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

New Bern is about two hours east of the Triangle, a pretty straight shot up U.S. 70.

The Coastal Plain League team, the New Bern River Rats, is in its second year of play. They still play at New Bern High School's facility. I have no idea whether New Bern or Craven County is going to help the team into its own facility or they'll live with this like at least one other very small-market - even by modest CPL standards - in the league. And FWIW, I don't think any CPL team has a staff writer taking care of both home and road games.

As for staffinig the Atlantic Coast Conference, forget it. Too small a staff, and the Burlington Times-News is also a Freedom paper that will staff ACC.

I dunno if New Bern will have the manpower or the resources to really cover ECU much beyond game days and the odd key presser or two. I almost ended up working in New Bern a few years ago. The SE then, Ken Buday, is a super guy and might still be over on newsside. The facility is only a few years old, and while Freedom isn't always great shakes, this seems to be one of the better papers given its size in the chain.

8. Remy243

Remy243 New Member

to address some of the above posts, the Sun Journal's allows for good coverage of East Carolina athletics. During football season, the Sun Journal goes to each press conference, one to two practices a week... every home game, select away games (i.e. you can drive there). In the past, there has been a story every day leading up to an East Carolina football game. During basketball season, the Sun Journal covers almost every home game (there are a few exceptions when there are conflicts with scheduling). Baseball is hit or miss at East Carolina, but the opportunity to cover the Pirates is there.

Take it for what it's worth. In addition, to the Coastal Plain League team, there is a new semi-pro football team the Grizzlies that garners coverage from the Sun Journal.

The opportunity to cover many different things is available at the Sun Journal, if you're willing to work hard.

9. ATLHawksComeback

ATLHawksComeback New Member

Any updates here?

10. Remy243

Remy243 New Member

Just letting you guys know, my last day at the Sun Journal. The sports editor is currently taking applications until the end of next week, so get those resumes in the mail.

Draft saved Draft deleted