1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joker in next Batman film

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jul 23, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Legit fears. "Batman Forever" was a steaming piece of shit.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think anyone should worry... Based on how dark Batman Begins was, I don't think anyone has to worry about a Jim Carrey-type performance in this movie...

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

It would never happen, but Michael Keaton would be one hell of a Joker.

[​IMG]

4. Garner

Garner Member

My vote? Three words: James Earl Jones

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I tend to think you're right on the money about this one. If it does turn out to be Ledger, as it probably will be, you can bet the fanboys will be all over this one, bitching and moaning every step of the way. It'll be the same as when Topher Grace was selected to be Venom in Spidey 3.

6. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

And to judge from the teaser I saw, Topher definitely looks tougher than before. Certainly the comparison to Maguire flatters him. Hell, Bambi would look tough next to Tobey.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Spidey fans were upset with the Topher Grace because they were worried about it being an indication of the Venom sotryline.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You beat me to it, Dude. I have been saying this for YEARS!

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

darkhorizons.com does have a pretty good batting average on this sort of thing, so I'd guess Ledger has the gig.

I also thought Keaton would have been a good Joker, and it would have been a cool way to establish the Batman Begins franchise as a completely different animal from the Burton-Schumacher series (as if that really needed to be done anyway.)

The Joker does have to be able to carry off wild hysterical comedy at times, as well as being a chilling, brooding ruthless killer the rest of the time.

I think the Begins franchise, aside from Neeson in the kickoff movie, is going to use actors like Ledger -- maybe not A-list, not B-list, but somewhere in between -- as the guest-star villains. It's cheaper from the budget standpoint, plus you don't get established stars trying to steal the plotline with schtick, as you had with Jim Carrey, DeVito and Schwarzenegger in the Burton series.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hamill's name only got in there becuase he's done the voice of the Joker in a bunch of different animated series over the last 15 years or so. And he's very good in the role when it's a voice only. Then again, there are a lot of people who thought Kevin Conroy, who has been the voice of the animated Batman all those years, was better any other actor to portray the Dark Knight. Doesn't mean either one belongs in the live action version.

11. Baloo

Baloo Member

I've liked Ledger since I saw "10 things I hate about you" - a really underrated movie. I think he could pull off the Joker much better than someone like Robin Williams - at least I picture Williams being way over the top and making a farce of the character and what, with BB, has the makings of a great franchise. Cillian Murphy rocks but I don't see him returning as another villiain; I'd love to see his Scarecrow character return. Ditto on Neeson, but I don't know if that'll work. On the other hand, BB sure left Ras' demise so open-ended, it almost seems certain he'll resurface at some point...

12. Varla

Varla Member

He got work as the villain in both Charlie's Angels movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted