1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Lima (OH) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by fmrsped, Jul 16, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Interesting. ...

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2006/1944.html

Wasn't Jim Krumel the sports editor there for a while? Any idea on what the full-timers are like age-wise?

2. 85bears

85bears Member

Two questions:

1. Pay?
    2. What do they mean by "Ohio State beat writer"? Someone who goes to home games on Saturdays? Or a real beat writer?

3. cubman

cubman Member

I can answer the second question. Jim Naveau has covered Ohio State for Lima for several years; he travels to every football game - home, away, postseason. AFAIK, they do not staff all men's basketball games. Not living in that part of the state and not referring to Lima for my OSU coverage, I don't know what they do with basketball.

4. 85bears

85bears Member

What about during the week?

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

1. (Guessing) 35K.
    2. Quick check of the web site doesn't reveal much; I'm guessing they may be in Columbus on Fridays and Saturdays and run AP rest of the week, but that is purely speculation. It's about an hour and a half to Columbus, so I'm skeptical if they're there every day.

Oops, thanks cubman.

6. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

When they say Ohio State beat writer, they mean it. They sell their OhioState preview page and game packages all over the state. Jim Naveau does a terrific job.

7. sptzdesigner

sptzdesigner New Member

Jim Krumel hasn't been sports editor there, pay is closer to 40K or upward, Naveau travels to OSU for the big news and covers all OSU football games but there is no one stationed in Columbus to cover all things Buckeye, and two of the full-timers have been there for quite some time and are in their mid-40s and early- to mid-50s ... the third full-time position is currently posted, so it will be a new hire, as John Hullinger (in his early 30s) is leaving on Aug. 2 to start law school.

8. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

What does this mean for the reporter position they have open. Or has that been filled??

9. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

P,

they were preparing to start the interview process. Where that is now is anyone's guess, as I'm betting the new writing hire is less important than replacing Tim.

10. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

I knew Tim was looking to move on. What happened to him?
    Also, I believe this is a universal desk, so limited layout, if any, for the SE.
    Pretty good section here. Naveau and Usher are the anchors there. Krumel was an SE in Cambridge, but he's never been a sports guy in Lima, just the ME.

11. sptzdesigner

sptzdesigner New Member

Tim took a job in Florida. Lima does have a universal desk, so the layout is limited to some formulated inside pages for the night sports slot editor.

Krumel is executive editor in Lima now.

12. I heard there's a really good sports designer that just landed a job down in Florida also ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted