1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the AP moved a photo of Zidane's headbutt?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jul 9, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

For those of us, you know, reading at work? And opening a thread that, by its title, would have implications upon a desker's job? Could we please try not to put "penis" and "fucking" in goddamn 200 point type?

Thanks.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, it never happened. So who the fuck cares?

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Huh, huh, you said penis and fucking!

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just watched the match ... well, the first 20 minutes, then the shootout because I do have other things I've got to do. I'll come back and watch the rest tomorrow.

Tell me this, which team flopped, then scored on a penalty kick in today's match, Italy or France? And which team had its best player receive a red card for an out-of-nowhere headbutt to the chest?

Just two answers. Just tell me who flopped then scored, tell me which team's best player showed no class. Then try and tell me again why the winning team was "unworthy" today compared to its opponent.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Why? He's not Polish!

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Only seen highlights of today's game, and I never justified Zidane's actions, and he deserved the red card (although Materazzi made it look worse than it was). Haven't seen the foul for the PK, and as such, I have never commented on it. I'm watching the tape tomorrow, and I'll get back to you. (Henry was whacked against Portugal.)

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Getty Images did move a photo a millisecond after the headbutt.

Materazzi is on his way down (but not on the turf yet), and Zidane has his fist clenched. About as close as you're going to get to the actual moment.

Great photo . . . but certainly not lead art (for the obvious reasons previously listed).

8. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Member

And am I missing something when reading these stories from Berlin? I haven't seen anything from Zidane. I don't know how the postgame availability works for an event like this, but what the hell? I'd like to hear what he had to say for himself.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He didn't talk to reporters.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

First, I love the Mortal Kombat thing. That's awesome.

And I defend the decision to run the headbutt photo, if one ever moved. It was certainly a critical point in the match, it put France down a player and took away one of their best PK shooters, it had an impact on game momentum and the emotions of the players, not to mention the whole "end-of-career" thing.

As someone pointed out in the World Cup thread, this is like Michael Jordan making that boneheaded move in overtime of Game 7 of the NBA Finals. I think running the headbutt photo instead of the classic "hug the trophy" shot is justified.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks, Cadet.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

The MJ analogy is good, Cadet, however, wil 99% of your readers know who Zidane is?

Draft saved Draft deleted