1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quark question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This may need to go in the design thread, so move it if you want.

At my paper, we've got older versions of Quark and Photoshop that we use. Sometimes, when I make a cutout in Photoshop and open the cutout picture in quark, I use the clipping to let me run text behind the picture. But sometimes (not always) when I do that, despite the fact that everything looks fine on my screen and on all my page proofs, when the page is filmed to be sent to the press room, there's a white box behind the cutout extending to the edges of the picture box.

Does anyone know why that is, why it only does it sometimes (sometimes it works fine, it's about a 50-50 chance), and how I can prevent it? That problem really messed with me tonight...

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Are you eliminating the clipping paths when you do the runaround?

3. Stupid

Stupid Member

clipping paths work best with EPS files

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Quark: Build a box, fill a box.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I assume when you choose the runaround, your chosing the embedded path option.

Are you certain the picture is sent to back?

6. Lt. Drebin

Lt. Drebin New Member

And check the color queue for the box. Make sure the box background isn't white. Simply but annoying.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

You can auto image the photo or simply free draw the text box accordingly.

Draft saved Draft deleted