1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Hey all your hip cats, I figured I'd pose this here rather than a new thread and risk being cyber-slapped by spnited. ...

Due to far too many miles on my legs from a fairly prolific running career in the 90s, I've nearly given up making a running comeback; it's to the point where I can't even jog a couple times a week to try to stave off this gut I'm developing.

Which is OK, because I've got a great park system near me for biking.

Perhaps Idaho can answer this the best, but if I'm not looking for the fanciest bike, just something that will allow me to get the blood pumping and build some muscle back in my legs, is the cheapie Schwinn model (web site has it at 219) OK, or is there something from a lesser brand I can get cheaper that would still do the trick? Thanks in advance; I've been out of the bike game since '00 or so.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Depressing article. I've had a lot of soy milk lately. Looks like it's time to cut out that practice.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Biking is wonderful. I'm in love with it.

If expense is a factor, try a pawn shop and buy someone's stolen bike (but if you find mine, let me know and I'll get it back and then give you a couple hundred dollars) and start riding. Craigslist and eBay will have some really good bargains on very nice bicycles. I've been amazed at the quality and price of bike you can get on eBay.

What's your budget? If it's $250, go to a bike shop, tell them what you can work with and what your goals are. They will be more than happy to get your business. Avoid the KMart, Target or Wal-Mart bikes. They're nothing more than heavy pieces of crap and you will get no service. Use a bike shop and let them fit the bike perfectly to your body so you have the best possible posture and most efficient pedal stroke.

And wear a helmet.

another option is to look into spinning classes at your local rec center or fitness club. For a couple of bucks you get a killer cardio workout in an hour.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I bought my Huffy Stone Mountain bike on Craigslist for $10 back in March. First time I had been on a bike since I was about 14, but I hate running because it kills my back, and this has worked out for me just fine.

Bike was a little rusty and the wheels were flat, so I took it to a great bike shop in town and they put new tubes on it, fixed the brakes, readjusted the seat and gears ... the works ... for $75 and I was on it the next day. Been in love with it ever since. ;D

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Great point. If you're just buying a bike for recreation and fitness, there's no need to open a line of credit. If you want to ride in a few organized tours or races, then spend some money.

But for $100-200 you can find a quality used bike, get it tuned up and be in very good shape to go out and ride. Do you anticipate road riding or mountain trails? That is a big part of determining what kind of bike to purchase, too.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm thinking all road riding, like I said, good park system by my area where trails are all paved, etc. etc. I'm not looking into racing, just simply cardio workout to go along with some situps to combat this little gut I'm noticing.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I occasionally drink rice milk--well, I mix in a vegan protein powder and down 8 ounces of the stuff when I think I may be going without enough protein. My gut tells me rice milk is healthier than soy milk (although who knows?(, and even though it's not as popular, it's an alternative you might look into. It comes in the same "vanilla" flavor.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Try something like THIS BIKE

And look around HERE for bikes that are brand new, have a warranty and just need assembling.

9. Varla

Varla Member

21: Is this really true of Splenda? I thought because it was made from real sugar it was a lesser evil. That's what I take in my coffee and have started using it in my cooking to cut out sugar. :-\

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Health food nuts, this question is for you:

At the grocery store this morning I ran across a product to add to your water bottles. Basically a sugar-free, caffiene-loaded packet of Crystal Light. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to cut back on my soda consumption and thought I'd give it a try. Anyone else use this stuff? The labeling and display case tried to make it sound like a kool-aid version of a Red Bull of Full Throttle energy drink.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Idy,

Use it and love it. We are big water drinkers and the little packets are perfect for a change of pace. We are big fans of the lemonade and tea.

Try them, one big plus is that there is actually enough in the packet to make the water taste right. it's not like you gotta add two or three to get it to taste like lemonade.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

This personal TdF thing is kinda catching up to me.

Daily (I've missed only the Sunday rides) 60-minute climbs and sprints have done three things for me.

1. I'm able to fall asleep much more quickly and easily than I have been in years. I lay down and the body starts to turn off.

2. I'm officially a sweater now. I rarely sweat before no matter how long I worked. Now, the perspiration starts dripping about 15 minutes into the ride.

3. My wife suddenly is telling me I have a sexy butt. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted