1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all the oppressed white males out there....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dream job, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do Asians not count as minorities?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would you ever go hunt down a white male candidate who didn't apply?

Y'all have more manners than I do.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Done trying to talk to you.

You should feel blessed. 100.000001 percent of the SportsJournalists.com community wishes I would put them into that category.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Just my thoughts on why there aren't more women/minority candidates . . .

Let's be honest. Women aren't as interested in sports as men, therefore there are going to be less of us looking to write about sports. Even the women I know who are athletes tend to not be as interested in sports off the field as men seem to be. I also think the general attitude of a lot of men -- if you don't know who so and so NBA star is you don't belong in sports -- scares a lot of women out of the field, even if they have a vast, encyclopedic knowledge of other sports, like say tennis.

I think it's a pay issue. Schools also have a hard time finding minority teachers. Numerous studies have found that minorities don't go into teaching because it doesn't pay enough. I'd imagine that journalism is the same way.

Not to mention the general attitude of many in this field that women and minorities don't belong. There's only so long a lot of people can take the subtle digs at their abilities before they pack it in and head to news.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So the new question is, what can we do to get more diverse candidates in the job pool? Or is there anything we can do? Because diversity definitely gives you a different perspective, and one would argue, a necessary fresh perspective.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hole,

I apologize, I lost track of the posts on this thread.  My bad.

I appreciate the candid response.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Who I hadn't at the very least heard about from someone I trusted?

No fucking way.

8. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

Not because he or she was white, of course not, I'm not a racist. for his or her talent? Sure.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'll chime in and say you want quotas, despite previous claims.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think higher pay would be a good place to start. Not that I think that'll happen anytime soon.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Buck,

Excellent question.

I think that as we become less written, and more web-interactive, that will help.

But this profession's rep is worse than it ever has been.

Many people of all colors and gender will be turning ttheir back on the biz.

Just my idiotic opinion.

12. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

That's pretty clearly what several posters want, they just can't bring themselves to admit it or they aren't looking at the reality of what they're saying.

Ignoring qualified candidates and hunting down other candidates simply because they fit a racial profile = quotas.

Draft saved Draft deleted