1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all the oppressed white males out there....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dream job, Jun 28, 2006.

1. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

All true, but it's not politically correct and doesn't fit Lugnuts agenda, so...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A lack, perhaps, but not an absence. Just because the resumes you have aren't inspiring doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who would be great.

Sometimes you can't wait for job candidates to come to you. You have to go and get them.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nah... Not going for that convenient excuse.

If those peeps aren't motivated enough to apply, I doubt they are motivated enough to do me any good.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not every minority is a gang banger. I hear some Asian and Indian kids are pretty good at speaking the language.

Almost as many women as men participate in college/high school athletics. A larger percentage of them are serious students with little or no hope of a future in pro sports so the pool of potential female sports writers should be increasing.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps they aren't aware of your opening?

Or perhaps they are and have good reason not to apply, Peeps.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Asian and Indian kids?

I guess I'll consider that check mate.

Are you kidding?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hole,

Are you saying the reason for the lack of qualified minority candidates is that they're not motivated enough to apply?

Again, I think we're starting to get somewhere.......... if we could just get a few others from earlier to chime in.......

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And those eight words are, as I articulated, what keeps them out of the professional sports journalism pool.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No.

That yahoo said that they are out there, but papers need to find them.

I think that is a pile of stinking dung.

I don't think they are out there.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Why not?

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Luggie,

I love you, but jesus fucking criminy..... I have explained it twice now.

It's my perspective on it, and I think it's pretty clear.

12. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

So it is right to ignore the applications and resumes of white sports writers who may be very good candidates based on their skills, to go out and hunt down a minority candidate who didn't make the effort to apply, simply because they are a minority.

Talk about trying to make a right out of two wrongs.

Draft saved Draft deleted